Life of Rye-ly beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks, going to kick off an A.G brewday either late this week or on the weekend. I have:

Pale malt, Rye malt

Amarillo, Citra and Northern Brewer hops

Would this work? I also have some roasted barley knocking about?

I'm aware that I haven't put exact quantities just yet; I aim to make 23 litres post boil.

You could make a good beer with those ingredients, yes. Maybe 84% pale malt, 15% rye, 1% roast barley. Northern brewer to bitter, Amarillo and Citra for flavour/aroma.

rough idea:

Batch Size (L): 23.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.050
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.91 %
Colour (SRM): 10.1
Bitterness (IBU): 36.9
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75

4.205 kg Maris Otter Malt (84%)
0.751 kg Rye Malt (15%)
0.050 kg Roasted Barley (1%)

15.0 g Northern Brewer Leaf (8.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes
15.0 g Amarillo Leaf (8.9% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes
15.0 g Citra Leaf (14.4% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes
15.0 g Amarillo Leaf (8.9% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes
15.0 g Citra Leaf (14.4% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes

A bit of crystal malt might be a good idea, 150-200g.

Think about the ABV and IBUs you want.

You can put any hops you like in! I think I'd prefer to keep it as Citra and Amarillo. Willamette are more earthy, they are actually Fuggles grown in America, and I would leave them out - but you might put them in and decide you really like the blend. I dunno, we all have different tastes and I've never used those hops together. Willamette are fruitier than Fuggles, they are a very nice hop, not dissimilar to Styrian Goldings, which are Fuggles grown in Slovenia. They blend very well with Cascade and could be great with Citra/Amarillo. But I would probably use them is something else. You could always split the batch and put Willamette into one half, as a 0 minute addition or a dry hop.

Knocked this out yesterday and my whole house smelled of rye. I didn't realise that I'd actually ordered roasted rye malt so the beer will be a heck of a lot darker than I originally anticipated! I added the Northern Brewer hops and finished with Amarillo and Citra (and Amarillo smell soooooooooo good!)

Pitched the yeast around 22C and am looking forward to this one!

Wow that's a lot of roasted rye! Very interested to know how it turns out!

I'd leave it to 14 days and make sure the gravity has stabilised.

Might be really good. Never used that much roasted rye. Keep us posted.

Latest posts

Back