Angry Diabolo

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coups

Reaction score
Ok so i like my belgian ales and i am used to their high ABV but im new to making homebrew with a high alcohol content.

I have a couple of days off at the moment and i made up a Brewferm Diabolo kit today, whilst rumaging thru my stores i found a coopers light malt can 1.5kg and thought that will go nicely with the Diabolo, i also added 600g of syrup instead of sugar to get the base of the beer nice.

Having made up the kit the OG was a massive 1.108!! Having done a calculation if this brew gets down to 1.030 it will be a 10% strength ale!

Im hoping ive not really stuffed this one up by adding the extra malt, can anyone suggest what the best actions are with this? A normal Diabolo is 8% and an OG of 1.075ish so i hope im safe. Ive got plenty of waiting to do no doubt before this brew comes good.

Ok so i like my belgian ales and i am used to their high ABV but im new to making homebrew with a high alcohol content.

I have a couple of days off at the moment and i made up a Brewferm Diabolo kit today, whilst rumaging thru my stores i found a coopers light malt can 1.5kg and thought that will go nicely with the Diabolo, i also added 600g of syrup instead of sugar to get the base of the beer nice.

Having made up the kit the OG was a massive 1.108!! Having done a calculation if this brew gets down to 1.030 it will be a 10% strength ale!

Im hoping ive not really stuffed this one up by adding the extra malt, can anyone suggest what the best actions are with this? A normal Diabolo is 8% and an OG of 1.075ish so i hope im safe. Ive got plenty of waiting to do no doubt before this brew comes good.

Hi Coups

Is there some way you can find out the tolerances of the yeast that is supplied? It may well be happy enough at 10%. If not, you could add either water or a hop tea to drop the gravity a bit before the fermentation really gets going.

Hi slid, thanks for the reply. I cant find anywhere the exact yeast that brewferm use, i suspect its a secret. But if all else fails could i order a belgian liquid yeast and apply that even if the ferment has already started?

Hi slid, thanks for the reply. I cant find anywhere the exact yeast that brewferm use, i suspect its a secret. But if all else fails could i order a belgian liquid yeast and apply that even if the ferment has already started?

I would still be tempted to dilute - 10% seems a lot for an Ale yeast.
How many liters are you brewing?

Kasteel do 10-12% beers and they turn out powerful and sweet, I know the diablo is meant to be duvel clone but if the yeast gives up early it could end up like this??

http://www.vanhonsebrouck.be/en/bieren/kasteelbier-tripel

no bad thing, but I'd give it an extra month of conditioning over what Brewferm recommend.

I did brew it slightly long to 10litres, the fermentation has already started - im quietly confident this will turn out ok as the brewferm yeasts are meant to be high ABV tolerant or at least thats what id assume if the base beer comes out at 8%.

Dadofjon; that triple looks really nice! The diabolo isnt a blonde but if it comes out anywhere near as good as that description ill be looking forward to it.
The missus doesnt believe me when i say its going in the shed till winter haha i guess ill have to keep it there at least until it comes good which might be a good 6 months.

You can dilute at any stage so maybe see what the FG and taste are like at bottling time?

Thats a thought rodabod, i didnt think they would really entertain me but i suppose its worth a shot.

Reply from Brewferm;

"The fermentation has stopped because of the alcohol content of approximately 9 %. You can lower the residual sugars (and increase the alcohol content) by adding some champagne yeast (e.g. dried wine yeast Bioferm Champ 7 g, article 001.214.6) or the new “Mangrove Jack's Craft Series dried brewing yeast - Workhorse Beer M10, 10g”, article 050.278.1, with high alcohol tolerances."

So im going to go to my local homebrew shop tomorrow and ask for the Mangrove Jacks yeast. Id taken a gravity reading this morning after 4 days its down to nearly 1.048 from 1.108 so it just needs an extra nudge.

There's a few methods, but if I were doing this I'd let the beer yeast do it's work as far as it could then do the last bit with wine yeast, which is more tolerant of alcohol.

Be careful though, you might end up with a fairly dry and easy to drink but deceptively strong beer that gets you very merry very easily.

Edit: thought I'd read through the whole thread before posting but evidently I hadn't. The sparkling wine type yeast is a good idea though. You might want to kill the yeast off before the beer attenuates too much, or you might want to just go with it and see where it ends, I guess.

Ok so i bottled this beer on sunday, last night the bottles were already quite hard to squeeze and i noticed little bubbles rising to the top. I decided to open each bottle a little and let off some of the Co2, did the same thing this morning before work and again tonight.
If i try and open one all together the beer will undoubtedly spew out all over the place. Im guessing the ferment hadnt quite finished before id bottled.
Any advice on this please guys? I dont want to keep opening and closing the bottles as eventually there wont be any more carbonation to take place and ill end up with a flat beer.

Are they all plastic bottles? You can probably over-carb them to some extent (but not too much) and then release a little later when they have conditioned. Remember that as this is a big beer, it'll take a long time for the flavour to develop.

Yeah they are all coopers PET bottles and coopers lids too. I guess im just frightened of waking up to recreation of 1942 and a beer covered spare room. With which the missus wont be happy haha.

I used to blow up PET bottles when I was young using vinegar and baking soda. You need an immense pressure to shatter those things. If they get absolutely rock-solid, then I'd drop a little pressure off, but don't overdo it. The majority of the gas will likely be formed within a few days of bottle fermenting. You can obviously tell this when squeezing bottles as they are conditioning.

Thanks rodabod, im just anxious i think because its clearly not quite fermented out. Who knows maybe ive in-advertently created my first 2nd ferment in the bottle brew and it might taste awesome.
Will it die down after a while or will i end up with spewing bottles everytime i try and pour one in about 5-6 months time?

Back