Geterbrewed Hoppy APA AG Kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will12283

Landlord.
Reaction score
I was one of the lucky ones that won a Geterbrewed AG kit.
I decided to go with the Hoppy American Pale Ale.

First thoughts - well packed kit, hops are clearly labeled as to when they are added (but lack of information of what hops they are). The crush on the grains was perfect for my setup (yet again no information of amount of what grains).
Grains hops and yeast.
View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434751952.061240.jpg
HLT warming up ready to go
View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434752029.217238.jpg
As this was my first ever AG brew I found the instructions very vague, lucky for me I have seen many videos on YouTube and have done a load of reading. (I even contacted Geterbrewed on Twitter but no info was given)
View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434752135.971186.jpg
Mash was a little hi temp but not bad for a first try
View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434752215.718192.jpg
Hops prepped and ready to go. (Can only guess that 10min and flame out hops are the same mix of hops)
View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434752311.273755.jpg
First runnings
View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434752423.870698.jpg
I batch sparged but overshot my target volume in the boiler (wanted 26.5l but ended up with 30l)
View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434752394.870924.jpg
Pre boil sample (forgot to take temp to correct the hydrometer reading)
View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434752667.523562.jpg
60min hops added.
View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434752585.999832.jpg

I forgot to take anymore pictures as I was also painting my daughters play house. Added 10 min hops after 50mins of the boil. Flame out hops were added 4 hours after boil due to the fact I no chill and this is advice I had read online. I finished with 21l in my no chill cube/fv
Yeast will be rehydrated and pitched tomorrow.

My thoughts so far.
Instructions need more information for first timers/ newish brewers. I would have liked more information on the content of the kit (amount of what grains, amounts and what hops for each addition), this would allow me to use brewing software to aid my brew day.
The kit its self was well packed and the hop additions are clearly marked (I'm this kit 60min,10min and 0min/flame out).
So far I think the kit is worth the money, but will reserve judgment until I try the finished product. From this experience I would use Geterbrewed again.

Would just like to thank the forum for setting up the giveaway. I would also like to thank Geterbrewed for a good product that was delivered quickly.

OG was 1.052 right in between the 1.045 - 1.060 range that it should have been.
For my first AG it went quite smoothly lucky me

I hope so I think there is good feedback and the odd twek would make this kit suitable for all levels of brewer

The lack of info on what hops are in what additions is clearly so you can't recreate it yourself. Slightly cynical but I can't really blame them. Good write up, let us know how it turns out.

The lack of info on what hops are in what additions is clearly so you can't recreate it yourself. Slightly cynical but I can't really blame them. Good write up, let us know how it turns out.
It would have been nice to have them, mostly so I could have used brewing software to track things. Other companies give all the info on kits so not sure why it's not in here too.
Looking forward to trying this, it's currently fermenting away happily.

Brew UK do the same, they don't tell you what hops are in each addition etc. certainly not for their extract kits, haven't bought any of their AG kits. I agree it would be helpful but can sort of understand why they do it. That said if I liked the kit And wanted to recreate it, I'd probably buy the individual ingredients from the same site, so they'd get the repeat biz anyway.

Maybe we should start badgering them to do it?

Brew UK do the same, they don't tell you what hops are in each addition etc. certainly not for their extract kits, haven't bought any of their AG kits. I agree it would be helpful but can sort of understand why they do it. That said if I liked the kit And wanted to recreate it, I'd probably buy the individual ingredients from the same site, so they'd get the repeat biz anyway.

The kits will be 'value added ' from their point of view - you pay more for a ready put together kit than for the individual materials, even if you do buy it from them. If they give away the whole recipe, you can order the individual bits cheaper, or worse still, you can buy it from their competitors. They need to make a few bob or there is no business.

Best thing from our point of view is that a comparative brewing beginner can buy a kit and end up with a beer in a style they like and expect it to turn out tasting right.

I agree that I would be more likely to buy the ingredients from thst sane company if I enjoyed the kit.
From a company point of view I do understand it but I'm here as a brewer not a business man.
Would I use the kits again? Yes I can't see why not. Easy to use, well packaged and all in one simple box. All things that will appeal to a customer. But the side of me thst pushed me to brew my own wants to know more.
If I wanted a simple hoppy apa recipe all I need to do is search, but if I want something that's all in one place from a company I can trust at a good price, geterbrewed are very close. The bit that is lacking is the detail in the instructions (grain weights, hop weights and times). These slite changes would open up AG brewing to many different individuals (from first timers to experience kit/extract brewers) and in my humble opinion would only be a benefit for both company and brewer.

Well the plan to use the corny is out the window. Went to sort everything today only to find I'm out of co2. Gutted is not the word. Now I need to try and sort cleaning beerline without gas. Just started cleaning the kegs and the pb as the brew is now going in there.

Bugger. In the words of the great Clint Eastwood in Heartbreak Ridge - 'Improvise, adapt and overcome'!!

Well the plan to use the corny is out the window. Went to sort everything today only to find I'm out of co2. Gutted is not the word. Now I need to try and sort cleaning beerline without gas. Just started cleaning the kegs and the pb as the brew is now going in there.

I'm a bit of a primitive type - I like my PBs..... Cornys? Paaah! :evil:

Latest posts

Back