First AG Galaxy Single Hop Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HisDudeness

Reaction score
So took the plunge this morning and had a go at a full AG using BIAB method, as I had tried the partial mash with the same hops etc before this it wasnt too daunting really and fingers crossed it will turn out well. I used the recipe discussed on a previous thread as follows

Batch Size 10L
OG 1.045
FG Target 1.011
IBU 33.2
SRM 7
ABV4.5%

Grain Bill
MO 1.7kg
Carahell 0.1kg
Crystal Malt 80EBC 0.1kg
Torrified Wheat 0.1kg

Boil 60min

Hops
Galaxy 5g @ 30
Galaxy 10g @ 10
Galaxy 10g @ 5
Galaxy 10g @ 0
Galaxy 20g @ 5 Day Dry Hop

Yeast: planning to use some Adnams yeast recovered from Ghost Ship Keg

The only slight change was substituting some MO for DME as I only had 1.5kg left in the bag. This bumped the target OG up slightly to 1.046.

Heres the grain bill and hops weighed up, I tried to be organised and get everything ready before I started so wouldnt miss anything out :pray:

2015-06-20 07.59.51.jpg

2015-06-20 09.02.00.jpg

Wrapped the pot up nice and snug with a blanket and a hoodie for good measure! It still seemed to lose quite a bit of heat over the hour and was down to about 63 by the end, so I warmed it up slightly and gave it an extra 30mins to be safe. I mashed in 9 litres of water and dunk sparged in another 4.

2015-06-20 09.02.32.jpg

2015-06-20 09.40.27.jpg

2015-06-20 10.12.01.jpg

Followed the boil schedule and used Irish Moss this time after boiling I was down to about 7 litres but after topping it up hit the target OG pretty much bang on :thumb:
Strained into the FV which was a bit of a pain as the hop pellets clog the bag badly but got it all out in the end.
Pitched about 50ml of Adnams yeast slurry from my mini keg culture and hopefully it will be off and bubbling shortly!

2015-06-20 10.58.17.jpg

2015-06-20 12.57.19.jpg

2015-06-20 13.03.00.jpg

A couple of months ago I joined this site to look at some kit reviews, now Im up to my elbows in grain and hops not sure what happened! :wha::wink:

Funny that. The same thing happened to me. Don't worry though, I might get chucked out by my wife for filling the house with bottles, tubs, barrels, and smelling the place out. When I am homeless, I will be able to kick the obsession because I won't have anywhere to store the stuff.

Hope your Galaxy hops are better than the ones I used in a brew a few weeks ago. Wasn't very impressed with them on brew day as they were a bit on the brown side and not much aroma (should have used something else :roll: but hey ho). Just tried some and it is bitter and no hop flavour or aroma, unlike previous Galaxy brews :-(.

Galaxy is great, along with cascade (I know, but it's just great), it's been my fave hop so far. It'll be great.

I like every commercial beer I have tried so far with Galaxy in it so I have high hopes!

The Adnams yeast kicked off after about 12 hours and is now going like a train! Has formed a very dense krausen which currently looks like a giant sponge cake sitting on the top of the brew, think this one might be finished quite quick....

Hope your Galaxy hops are better than the ones I used in a brew a few weeks ago. Wasn't very impressed with them on brew day as they were a bit on the brown side and not much aroma (should have used something else :roll: but hey ho). Just tried some and it is bitter and no hop flavour or aroma, unlike previous Galaxy brews :-(.
Where did you get yours from as I have a packet I am planning on using tonight? If it's the same place I may use something else.

So 6 days in FV and it was looking a bit quiet so took a gravity reading and it's down to 1.006 already! Not only that but looking crystal clear as well, the biggest revelation was the taste though no twang, no homebrew flavours it's basically tasting like a finished but flat beer already and a definite Adnams character from the yeast so pretty chuffed and haven't even dry hopped it yet. Krausen still hanging around though so will leave it for a bit but can't wait to get it bottled! Think I understand what all the fuss is about AG now...

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back