My First Full All Grain Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlentoranMark

Landlord.
Reaction score
Recipe credited to SteveJ who got it from Clibit :thumb: Made a few tweaks.

2.55 kg Irish Stout malt (£1 per kilo)

0.30 kg Roasted Barley (£1.60 for 500g)

0.28 kg Cane Sugar (normal household sugar, 60p 500g)

0.15 kg Crystal 80 (£1.60 500g)

0.10 kg Chocolate Malt (£1.60 500g)

Boil:

27g North Down Leaf (£4.99 100g)

5g Irish Moss (£1.99 50g)

Ferment:

Safale US-05 (Yeast, £3.99)

Total cost £19.40 + ingredients left for further use)

IMG_20150620_152119485%255B1%255D.jpg

IMG_20150620_175331700%255B1%255D.jpg

IMG_20150621_133936670%255B1%255D.jpg

I'm restricted by my pot size (15L) , this boiled down to 12.5L and was projected at 1.054, I measured 1.052 which is pretty good for my first brew. I only sparged around 1L and then used the remaining grains to make a 2nd weaker brew 3% (in demijohn). I topped up to 17.5L to give a reading of 1.042 so my projected strength is around 4% (original recipe was 5.5%)

For 2nd brew I boiled with 5g of Pacific Jade hops (in my fridge from my first brew) and 10g Northdown. I added 200g of sugar and 10g of Liquorice. Just an experiment on grains that would otherwise be dumped.

In the 2L bottles are a Summer Punch, tasted it as I bottled it and both are delicious.

Gonna do a simple Stout next to compare.

The hops were a bit dear but the rest seems reasonable! Let us know how it works out. :thumb:

Sounds good! All from Nature's Way?

Yes, they have a lot more than they show on their website. Original Recipe was for Maris Otter (which they had) but I substituted it for Irish Stout Malt which was both cheaper and more appropriate for a Stout (I hope).

As I say I'll do a simple Stout next to compare. I bought 4kg of Irish Stout Malt so I'll maybe mix it will Maris Otter to make a 15L brew.

Some of my prices may be wrong Clibit although iirc that was the correct price for the Hops.

Bottled both just now, both had a very low gravity reading of 1.004 for my Chocolate Stout and 1.003 for my Secondary Stout meaning 5% and 3.7% bit stronger than I hoped but my readings could be off.

WOW, what can I say. My main Stout is a thick chocolatey flavour, it really stands out. I think this won't last long as soon as it's ready.

My Secondary Stout is also an overwhelming success. It tastes a little like Guinness but unfortunately I've only 5L of the stuff. It's amazing and far better than any kit I've ever tried.

I'll definitely be doing similar next week.

I'm also trying to harvest my yeast (again thanks to this forum) and it will go into next weeks brew.

So impressed by all of this. If you haven't tried all grain, follow Clibits simple guide. You wont regret it.

Last edited:
I'm going to attempt a Schwarzbier which literally means Dark Beer following this recipe.

I get to use my Peco Boiler kindly donated by Niman and use some of the Pale Malt he gave me.

1.8 Kg Irish Pale Malt (free)
225 g Crystal 80 - 72p
225 g Wheat Malt - 72p

20g Magnum Hops 60 minutes £1.10
20g Fuggles 15 minutes £1.25
20g Williamette 1 minute £1.20

Safale US-05 (washed from last brew)

Batch size 2.5 Gallon, total cost £4.99
http://www.brewersfriend.com/styles/schwarzbier/

I should add I'm going to dilute this, the original recipe is 5.5% which is just too strong for my liking. I like brews around 4%. I done this with my last stout and it turned out well.

My boiler heated up in 15 minutes, what a time saver! One thing I did do wrong was heating my water to 75 degrees. When I placed my grains into the water, the residual heat of the element kept the temperature up above 70 for a little while, I hope this doesn't affect the taste too much. Only after 20 minutes did I get it around 68.

This isn't as dark as I hoped but it will turn out fine. What I have noticed is so how easy this whole darn process is and why I haven't been doing this sooner!

I brew a few kits now and again love the brewferm ones
AG is the way forward for i think, theres so many easy tweaks to get a brew thats more suited to your own taste (with no homebrew twang)

Ended up adding 200g table sugar to build the OG up. It's on the boil now at 15L, the boiler has really sped the process up but I may not use it as a mashtun in future. I have a coolbox which holds the temperature better.

One thing that concerns me is the tap at the bottom of the boiler, it's not sterilised and I'm worried about infection, I'm still going to use it though. I also don't have a wort chiller so I'm going to transfer into a sterilised pot and cool in the sink.

My washed yeast may fail as well but there's only 1 way to find out.

OG was 1.050, higher than I expected. 11L in total so 20 pints. Happy days brewing, I'll do a few things different next time.

I have action in my fermenting bucket! Lets hope it does it's stuff although it's not a great quality yeast. I made my summer brew with the stuff and it's pretty drinkable.

Having some of my first brew now. I mentioned I messed up a bit with my grains and may have added too much Chocolate Malt. I'm one of those strange people that dislike chocolate so it sort of spoils the taste but it's still by far the best brew I've ever done. This is pretty young but I don't think it will get much better. I noticed straight off when I bottled it was a strong chocolatey flavour. I'm really looking forward to trying my experiment as it was more to my liking and a true Stout.

Keep us posted. Stouts usually work out well, it seems.

I've always known stouts work out well, the Coopers stout is virtually bombproof .They were one of my first kits I made. I've always found my stouts and porters turn out much better then my bitters. I kind of always vaguely wondered why.

I think may now now. I've been doing some research into water treatment because I want to start to get into that. I've bought a salifert alkalinty test kit (it hasn't arrived yet) and some Brupaks Carbonation Reduction Solution (CRS).

It seem that darker beers are a lot more tolerant to alkalinity than lighter beers. So your Stouts are going to come out well overall

I done a bit of research on another matter a few years ago about water quality and it seems those of us in the northern half of the UK and Ireland have very clean water. My own water is 8ppm and is soft. Most people in the Southern UK and Ireland have very alkaline water (hard) which causes limescale.

water_hardness_.jpg

This isn't actually a bad thing, these impurities give different water its flavour but too much impurities are a bad thing. I'm great where I live but these PPM are different from street to street never mind waterboard to waterboard.

This information is all freely available from you local waterboard but as I found out, it can be difficult getting the info from them.

I've always known stouts work out well, the Coopers stout is virtually bombproof .They were one of my first kits I made. I've always found my stouts and porters turn out much better then my bitters. I kind of always vaguely wondered why.

I think may now now. I've been doing some research into water treatment because I want to start to get into that. I've bought a salifert alkalinty test kit (it hasn't arrived yet) and some Brupaks Carbonation Reduction Solution (CRS).

It seem that darker beers are a lot more tolerant to alkalinity than lighter beers. So your Stouts are going to come out well overall

Is that the price you paid for yeast in Sterling?

My prices are by the amount used in relation to the cost amount.

My yeast was washed from a £4.99 packet but didn't work so I guess I'll have to add 4 teaspoon worth of Youngs dried yeast :)

Can't remember TBH, £4.99 but shops have to make their profit so don't mind supporting a local company.

I'm sure I could source all ingredients for cheaper by buying online.

Latest posts

Back