priming for bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddeighton_1

Reaction score
hi is it better to put half teaspoon of sugar in each 500ml bottles or a big amount in to a fermenter before bottling

What rodabod wrote, I reckon. Don't feck around priming individual bottles.

I used a sugar calculator from the World Wide Web and it came up with 105grams for 20 lires does that sound right
Also already in a second bin fir a week would it be worth transferring it to another then add sugar then bottle or should it be ok as it is I did syphon into the second bin so shouldn't really be much sediment in it
Thanks for all your help

105g sounds reasonable.

When you add the sugar you need to stir. It's preferable to stir in a small sugar solution rather than dry granules. This will raise any sediment, so if you think there is any, then it may be worth carefully transferring to another santised vessel first.

right i feel like I'm being a pain asking silly questions

but one it it to be right i hope haha

but i have half a bag of brewing sugar so would it be best to prime my coopers stout with brewing sugar or normal sugar

is there a difference

Brewing sugar is usually dextrose and usually cut fine. Use that.

I think table sugar is fine and will work the same, but caster grade would be preferable to make it easier to dissolve, and it's probably more expensive than brewing sugar.

The required amount of table sugar will easily disolve in half a mug of boiling water. It is also sterile that way. Add this to a sterile fermenter and syphon the beer into it making as little contact with the air as possible - no long drops - no splashing. Air oxidises beer. Put the syphon pipe to the bottom of the new container and ASAP get it under the beer. This method will evenly distribute the sugar in the beer. Use a bottling stick to fill your bottles. Job done. :)

right i feel like I'm being a pain asking silly questions

There is no such thing as a silly questions just a questions you don't have the answer to, most of us start out knowing little and gain experience as we go, the forum is here for this reason and without members asking questions it would fail.

One of the things that struck me about this forum when still lurking, was the willingness of more experienced brewers to give out information. Some internet forums are inhabited by the "use the search function" brigade. Doing IT stuff for a day job, I know how difficult it is to search if you don't know the correct question.
I do woodturning for a hobby, and have given up completely on internet forums because of the arrogance and equipment snobbery.
The thing about investing your time in something for leisure is, it should be fun. Otherwise, why not just buy your beer/wine/wooden bowls.... etc?

thanks peeps
i want to do it now but i have choices for my stout approx 20 litres or 35 pints do i
(a) bottle it
(b) barrel it
or do i save the barrel for my young brew buddy cider which I'm looking at flavouring it with summer fruit juice then i have a choice of bottling or barreling that if i don't use the barrel for stout
i may bottle my stout and the cider and use the barrel for a ale arrrrrrrgh choices haha

thanks peeps
i want to do it now but i have choices for my stout approx 20 litres or 35 pints do i
(a) bottle it
(b) barrel it
or do i save the barrel for my young brew buddy cider which I'm looking at flavouring it with summer fruit juice then i have a choice of bottling or barreling that if i don't use the barrel for stout
i may bottle my stout and the cider and use the barrel for a ale arrrrrrrgh choices haha

I usually bottle stouts in 500ml bottles and everything else in 2L bottles. HB Stout can be added to cider or beer and it always seems to improve it to my tastes.

Back