Yeast Infection

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian808

Regular.
Reaction score
What is a wild yeast infection ? How can you tell if you have one ? What is the cause of getting one ?
Can someone answer these please as I have seen a few people on about them and I had the strangest looking brew today when I went to move to another FV. There was stuff floating around in the brew clumped together not on top of surface but floating around and when I syphoned it into another FV through a bag I soon realised this was the trub that hadn't settled if that makes sense. Thanks for the replies (clibit) :pray:

Beer is actually quite hard to infect because it's quite a hostile environment for bacteria (low ph and antimicrobial properties of hops). If it smells and tastes ok it probably is. Beer is made out of lots of compounds and all kinds of stuff can find its way to the top to float there. Don't worry about it.

Beer is actually quite hard to infect because it's quite a hostile environment for bacteria (low ph and antimicrobial properties of hops). If it smells and tastes ok it probably is. Beer is made out of lots of compounds and all kinds of stuff can find its way to the top to float there. Don't worry about it.

Not to worried as I've had it before and thought it was hops as I was using a stock pot and colander then. I just used a bag when syphoning so none went into next FV. I'm using a boiler now with a hop strainer so looked at it more closely and seen it was trub deposits floating in brew. Just wondered what it was or the cause of it. I will bottle it in a couple of days and will have forgotten all about it when I go to drink it. Thanks :thumb:

Last edited:
I think a sharp/tart/sour smell, long fermentation (three weeks plus) and super attenuation are the hallmarks of wild yeast but it's hard to be sure. I've been going on about it a bit as was convinced I had one but in the end I'm certain I didn't...so don't panic like I did, is my advice.

Causes: it's in the air, but more commonly it's from added stuff like ginger or fruit.

Yeah the issue is that it'll ferment forever until nothing remains but sour and high alcohol beer.

Lambics make use of wild yeast and I think some people let beer get infected and stop it by boiling/campden tablets before re-seeding with another strain.

Will bow to superior knowledge of others on here though.

Yeah the issue is that it'll ferment forever until nothing remains but sour and high alcohol beer.

Lambics make use of wild yeast and I think some people let beer get infected and stop it by boiling/campden tablets before re-seeding with another strain.

Will bow to superior knowledge of others on here though.

Campden tablets only 'stun' yeast after a while it gets going again

Back