Cloudy beer with CF chiller?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pluckthechicken

Spring chicken
Reaction score
Okay, so I have a bit of a strange one here.

I got around to building a counterflow chiller earlier in the year to try and improve my cold break and get rid of some chill haze. It's a fairly standard design and the wort is in contact only with the copper pipe as it passes through the chiller. I have done several brews since then, and whenever I use this chiller I get a cloudy beer that just won't clear up, although it smells and tastes good. It seems like the cold break is just hanging in suspension or something, clinging to the side of the fermenter. I couldn't find anyone else with this problem on the forums.

I always use Irish moss and have tried using Kwik Clear finings. Still got a bucket of pea soup!

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance! :)

If you want to counter chill haze, It shouldn't matter what sort of chilling method you use as long as you chill the wort quickly

I take it your using the same yeast with the chiller and non chiller brews? You haven't used a yeast that doesn't flocc out well for the chiller and yeast that does for brews you don't use the chill? - only thing I can think of, being a no-chill chap

Hi MyQul,

I've done several batches with good yeast (WLP005) that has never given me problems before! I was just chilling wort in an ice bath before so just wanted a faster chill, it seemed that counterflow was the most efficient but I feel like I was aiming too high now!

Thanks for the input, this has me rather bemused :(

Do you use any chemical cleaner through the CFC?
I use one for every brew and on the odd occasions the beer is hazy it is due to othet reasons ( forgot Irish moss or used rye malt (need to recheck that one))

What temperature is your wort coming out of the chiller at? I've been using mine for a while, set the cold water flow to give me 25°c out and not encountered this....

Dad's Ale- Not used any chemical cleaners but was thinking of giving it a try with phosphoric acid solution in case there is some kind of coating inside the pipe that is causing trouble?

ManseMasher- Yeah mine comes out 25-30 just now but was 20 in the winter when the tap water was colder.

Latest posts

Back