Pressure Woes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
Having problems with my Coopers stout I made with 1 kg brewing sugar + 500 grams enhancer.
The actual stout turned out ok but I am having problems with maintaining serving pressure in my King Keg top tap with sparklet dispensing tap.
This happened the last time I used my King Keg. Basically I am using one small 8gram co2 bulb to serve one pint. When I used my old basic plastic barrel last time I only used 1 bulb for the whole 40 pints.
The stout was made 5 weeks ago...spent 3 weeks in primary fermentation then barrelled 2 weeks ago.
Would it be an idea and more importantly safe and effective if I transferred it into my basic barrel? If so will I need to batch prime again and if so how much sugar should I use to do this?
I used approx. 110grams to batch prime initially.
Look forward to some help and advice :drink:

You have a leak somewhere, probably the lid seal or one of the seals on the valves on the lid. How old is the keg? The seals need replacing regularly, typically after a year or so.

If you can, get a larger Hambleton Bard CO2 cylinder rather than those small bulbs, and give it a good squirt of CO2 - you should be able to hear the leak. Fixing might be as simple as just getting the right tightness on the lid, or you might need to replace the seal(s). Took me quite a while to fix the seal issues on my KK, they can be a pain to track down - if you're struggling, gas it up and get some soapy suds around the outside to try to spot the leak.

In the meantime, yes transfer it to the other keg and re-prime, 80g of sugar should do. I always find it worth giving it a quick squirt of CO2, even when priming, just to make sure there are no leaks.

Back