No carbonation, bad bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomasmancini

Reaction score
Hello there!
This is my first post here and Im a rookie to brewing.
I did a batch of beer but unfortunately (and just found out now) the bottles were bad and didn't retain any carbonation.
Flavour and gravity are right on the spot but no carbonation.
Is there a way that I can bottle this again in good bottles and use like carbonation drops or anything like that?

Cheers guys! And thank you all for the help.

Thomas

Agree are you 100% sure it was the bottles and not the method? Like how much did you prime for teh bottles and where did you store them ect.

hi and welcome on board.

what do you mean the bottles are bad?? How long did you leave them to carb up and what did you use to carb them?

We bough flip tap bottles, we stored them for 2 weeks for fermentation.
We could see that it started to have carbonation, but then I could smell beer all over, that for me meant that the co2 was getting out, some of the bottles retained the carbonation and they are perfect, but that was like 20% out of everything.

Agree are you 100% sure it was the bottles and not the method? Like how much did you prime for teh bottles and where did you store them ect.

We primed the bottles with simple syrup, with the gravity readouts we put 8 grams of simple syrup per 330ml bottles. We stored them in a more or less 18 degrees cabinet for two weeks.

What state were the rubber seals in? I use old Grolsch bottles and they're a bit variable at holding pressure - but there again they are 30 years old and some of them I've never replaced the rubber seals(!) but having said that I've never had any go completely flat. If you need new rubber seals, you can get them online or from your local homebrew shop.

Sure, im getting new bottles now for the new batches.
But my question is, can I get carbonation back on these ones, like taking all the beer back and putting it on new bottles with some carbonation drops?

That nice but flat beer needs to stay where it is now, mate. Try another bottle in a week. Transferring it is not an option. You'd probably ruin a nice beer by doing that. Bit of a risk adding another sugar source too. You don't want bottles exploding. Put it down to experience and use ordinary sugar next time. Have you got a soda stream machine by any chance? Just a thought...

That nice but flat beer needs to stay where it is now, mate. Try another bottle in a week. Transferring it is not an option. You'd probably ruin a nice beer by doing that. Bit of a risk adding another sugar source too. You don't want bottles exploding. Put it down to experience and use ordinary sugar next time. Have you got a soda stream machine by any chance? Just a thought...
I once put a flat carbonated drink in a soda machine, I wouldn't recommend it! I was cleaning up for weeks!

Thanks!
Nope, no soda stream machine :(

You should be able to carefully pour the beer from the duff bottles into new ones and re-prime them, but you will have to pour in such a way as not to let them `glug' which will aerate the beer, and not splash around in the new bottle either. Then add half a teaspoonful of sugar and cap. It's worth a try anyway. Or if you can get new seals for the old bottles, re-prime them and see if they work this time.

Latest posts

Back