temperature

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

houndeye

Reaction score
hi all.im new to this homebrew thing.ive got a larger kit on the go.thing is the temperature has been steady at 18-20c for about 5 days.now with this heat its gone up to 22-24c is this the norm?.or am I doing something wrong?.or do I need to do something to get temp down

I'm not familiar with that kit so not sure if it is a true lager yeast or not.

Those temps are on the edge I would say, it'll still ferment but might impart some flavours. It's good that it was at 20 or so for 5 days previously so the yeast would be very active. there are a few posts on here that say temp is most important in the first 72 hours and then less so after that, but I'm not sure how valid this is.

Doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong, everyone is having problems with temp at the moment unless they have a fermentation fridge. I have a lager in my fridge but also an ale in the garage but that is still about 20 degrees.

Those temps are on the edge I would say, it'll still ferment but might impart some flavours. It's good that it was at 20 or so for 5 days previously so the yeast would be very active. there are a few posts on here that say temp is most important in the first 72 hours and then less so after that, but I'm not sure how valid this is.

According to the 'yeast book' around the various forums, acknowledged as the definative book on yeast for the home brewer

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0937381969/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The first 72 hrs is when off flavour compounds are made. Later on in the fermentation process temperature control is important but not as important as the initial fermention. In the heatwave were experiencing the likely result is to be a more fully attenuated beer than planned

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back