Beer cocktails

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HebridesRob

Landlord.
Reaction score
Been reading up on brown ale and was reminded of something that lots of people used to do (me included) - pour a bottle of brown onto a half empty pint of bitter to make a black & tan (other names are available).

Anyone do this with their own beer? Why not give it a go now? Perhaps find a sweet dark one and mix it with a pale bitter one and see if the resulting mix is an enhancement, or just disgusting. Might be fun to see how it goes.

That's taken me back to my youth, anyone remember snakebite?

Snakebite

A snakebite is an alcoholic drink made with equal parts of lager and cider. Snakebite in the United Kingdom may be served with a dash of blackcurrant squash, referred to as a snakebite and black.

I used to drink snakebite with blackcurrant all the time and loved it (i was young) the only problem was if you puked it looked like you were bringing up blood, always a scary moment that. :lol:

Used to make "turbo shandy" in my student days, bottle of Stella mixed with a bottle of smirnoff ice or cheaper equivalent.

I've seen recipes for punch based on squash on here I'm yet to try but a lemon one with a nice hb lager could be interesting. Especially if you crank up the sugar and get the squash up to 10% or so.

Probably one to end a bbq early.

I like a black and tan, it's a way of getting something approximating an old ale if the pub doesn't serve on and you fancy it. (It's also great for confusing inexperienced bar staff) I occasionally blend my own ales but not often. I usually think of it before I brew and try to achieve what I want in the fermenter.

Nuclear Guinness - shot of Pernod depth charged in a pint of it. Tastes lovely but by all accounts I could only manage 7.....Oh, and a green glowstick cracked open on the foam so when you went to the loo you could write your name in the dark....

Perhaps this is sacrilege but I do sometimes like a "Shandy Gaff" as my Uncle used to call it a ginger beer shandy about 2/3 strongish ale and 1/3 Old Jamaica ginger beer. It's very refreshing on a hot day......thinks need some Old Jamaica......

I used to drink snakebite with blackcurrant all the time and loved it (i was young) the only problem was if you puked it looked like you were bringing up blood, always a scary moment that. :lol:

Yeah I drunk that when I was younger although we knew it as Diesel? it was red beer with like magenta head

When im smashed is still have 1 or 2 :eek:

Snakebite, we'd have half of some cheap Pilsner lager topped up with cloudy cider from the cask. I seem to remember there being lumps of things floating around in there but it still went down the hatch and had a kick like a mule.

WKD blue and lager, looks like washing up water tastes quite nice. Course I've grown out of that now :wink:

I bought 32 ounce mugs because I had used a bit too much honey malt in a blonde ale I brewed giving it a bit of an odd grainy taste. I'd pour it with a commercial wheat beer to mellow it out.

It's been quite some time since I've had a Black and Tan. Nice though!

It tasted nice, but always made me sick without fail, not sure why I used to drink it really.

Guinness and Tia Maria was another one, easy to drink, but they soon caught up with you!

My mate used to put a Smirnoff ice I a a half a Guinness and the way he poured it, it wouldn't mix together, he called it a pint of fanny, absolutely vile

Latest posts

Back