Butane portable gas ring

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought I could get away with the occasional 5 litre brew in the kitchen but I was wrong.

I noticed a camping style butane portable gas ring in pound stretcher today for a tenner. Anyone got any experience of these ? Apparently the canisters last three hours.

I thought I could get away with the occasional 5 litre brew in the kitchen but I was wrong.

I noticed a camping style butane portable gas ring in pound stretcher today for a tenner. Anyone got any experience of these ? Apparently the canisters last three hours.
What's its output? Have you got a link or any details?

Found something similar online and it's 2.2kw. That should be ok shouldn't it ?

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/1-burner-camping-stove-id_8342644.html

zoom_b27bd8895fcf48b0b8556863c82b71e6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sticking to 5 litre brews? If you are I reckon that will be absolutely fine. I do 23l brews - my burner is 8.8 kw. My simple head says a quarter of the brew length = a quarter of the gas (no doubt there's a rocket scientist somewhere out there who can/will dispute this!) For a tenner it's got to be worth a punt I 'ld say...

Yep. My Burco has a 2.5kw element and that does 30 litres, might sound a daft question but are the watts the same ?

Yes, they would be small brews, either 5 or 10 litre. They'd end up in 5 litre bottled water FVs. I like using them because after fermentation and chilling (they fit in the fridge) you can pour straight into bottles without messing about with syphon tubes. For my experimental brews I bottle straight from the fridge, helps keep the trub at the bottom.

Use those things all the time when camping. You won't get 3 hours of full power off them. They do burn pretty hot though. Butane is rubbish in cold weather. When mountain walking and camping with friends we had a two burner butane stove. Cooking on one burner & warming butane bottle on the other.

Took the plunge and got one this lunchtime and did a 10 litre test brew tonight.

Result :-

It works. It got the 12 litres of mash upto temperature very quickly. Also got to boil quick. It started to lose power about half way through the boil so it was reduced to a simmer (which was ok).

Next time I do a 10 litre I'm going to swap to a new can for the boil and use the remains for bringing the next one upto mash temp.

Getting a bigger setup is tempting but I think most of my experimental brews will be 5 litre which a single can should be fine for.

Took the plunge and got one this lunchtime and did a 10 litre test brew tonight.

Result :-

It works. It got the 12 litres of mash upto temperature very quickly. Also got to boil quick. It started to lose power about half way through the boil so it was reduced to a simmer (which was ok).

Next time I do a 10 litre I'm going to swap to a new can for the boil and use the remains for bringing the next one upto mash temp.

Getting a bigger setup is tempting but I think most of my experimental brews will be 5 litre which a single can should be fine for.
More than one way to skin a cat! How much is a can of gas, just out of interest?

. It started to lose power about half way through the boil so it was reduced to a simmer (which was ok).

As I understand things you need to maintain a good rolling boil throughout the boil to force as much protiens out the wort as possible.

You could do a shorter boil though. If you have a look at this brulosophy experiment he does a 60min vs 30min boil with not much difference.

http://brulosophy.com/2015/03/11/the-impact-of-boil-length-ale-exbeeriment-results/

Edit: But I guess if your simmering half way through it's the same as doing a 30min boil, right? :hmm:

As I understand things you need to maintain a good rolling boil throughout the boil to force as much protiens out the wort as possible.

You could do a shorter boil though. If you have a look at this brulosophy experiment he does a 60min vs 30min boil with not much difference.

http://brulosophy.com/2015/03/11/the-impact-of-boil-length-ale-exbeeriment-results/

Edit: But I guess if your simmering half way through it's the same as doing a 30min boil, right? :hmm:

I did a 30 min boil as the first test and have done another one since. Looking forward to tasting them.

I read the instructions for the gas ring (after I'd used it, I am a bloke after all) and it was full of 'danger of death warnings' - do not use indoors etc. so I got myself a CO alarm. Stuck it up in my brew shed for my latest brew (the elderflower one) and not a peep. Seems like indoors with an open door is ok.

I read the instructions for the gas ring (after I'd used it, I am a bloke after all) and it was full of 'danger of death warnings' - do not use indoors etc. so I got myself a CO alarm. Stuck it up in my brew shed for my latest brew (the elderflower one) and not a peep. Seems like indoors with an open door is ok.

You posted "Seems like indoors with an open door is OK" this may be fine where you brew but may not be where other members brew, i would advise members to follow the instructions and "do not use indoors" to be on the safe side.

You posted "Seems like indoors with an open door is OK" this may be fine where you brew but may not be where other members brew, i would advise members to follow the instructions and "do not use indoors" to be on the safe side.

Maybe I should have qualified that with an open door to the outside.

I think there are quite a few on here using 'burners', my experience is with the camping version.

My advice would be to get a CO detector no matter which burner you have or where you brew, they are only a fiver.

Maybe I should have qualified that with an open door to the outside.

I think there are quite a few on here using 'burners', my experience is with the camping version.

My advice would be to get a CO detector no matter which burner you have or where you brew, they are only a fiver.
I do all my brews with a gas burner in what you could consider 'inside'. I brew in the garage all year, and depending on the weather, the door is fully open to a 6 inch gap at the bottom. I just don't stay in there for the whole brew time, and every 30 mins or so I lift up the door, then drop it again. I also have the side door open so I get a flow of air through. I'm still here....just be sensible folks, and aware that co and co2 like your lungs better than o2.....

When I first started looking into using gas, I read an old post over at Jims that scared me and burned (no pun intended!) into my mind. I'll quote the relevant bit here so folks can be careful:

" I have one of the 8.8kw cast iron burners and they are for outdoor use only. The seller didn't tell me this and I ended up down A and E with my brew buddy and a dose of carbon monoxide poisoning. Bit like being really drunk and having a big headache at the same time. But we were ok after some pure oxygen."

Just be careful out there, or in there or wherever :cheers:

Yeah they are alright actually i've used one for a while now, much better than using my electic stove top. you can get the cans in packs of four from argos for a tenner. I think i go though 1 and a half cans in one brew thats if your doing a 90 minute boil. I normaly make 2 gallon batches, works fine :thumb::hat:

Yeah they are alright actually i've used one for a while now, much better than using my electic stove top. you can get the cans in packs of four from argos for a tenner. I think i go though 1 and a half cans in one brew thats if your doing a 90 minute boil. I normaly make 2 gallon batches, works fine :thumb::hat:

Find a poundstretcher, they are still doing 4 cans for £3.99 where I go.

I do all my brews with a gas burner in what you could consider 'inside'. I brew in the garage all year, and depending on the weather, the door is fully open to a 6 inch gap at the bottom. I just don't stay in there for the whole brew time, and every 30 mins or so I lift up the door, then drop it again. I also have the side door open so I get a flow of air through. I'm still here....just be sensible folks, and aware that co and co2 like your lungs better than o2.....

And co2 is odourless and tasteless and stays in your blood stream for years, I know, I was a fireman for a long time.
If you brew with gas, get a detector, it ain't worth the risk...

Latest posts

Back