Hello to everyone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarahl

Reaction score
hello everyone

After years of dedicated research I've decided to take the plunge and brew my own beer.

I have no idea where to start but I thought a forum of like minded people was a good start.

I'm hoping to start with something basic to get to grips and then work up to working with hops, malts and some other bits and bobs (much like the cairngorm brewery that uses elderflower and the like in some of theirs).

If anyone has any recommendations for a nice first brew I'd really appreciate it.

Sarah

Welcome aboard! Are you going to start with kits? There are some good reviews on here that might point you in the right direction.

hello everyone

After years of dedicated research I've decided to take the plunge and brew my own beer.

I have no idea where to start but I thought a forum of like minded people was a good start.

I'm hoping to start with something basic to get to grips and then work up to working with hops, malts and some other bits and bobs (much like the cairngorm brewery that uses elderflower and the like in some of theirs).

If anyone has any recommendations for a nice first brew I'd really appreciate it.

Sarah

I'm thinking of doing an elderflower beer too. The elderflowers have only just come out up here.

Welcome aboard.
The cairngorm brewery do some lovely ales. My last 3 visits to Aviemore have included a tour of the brewery, followed by a sampling session.

Thanks everyone

I like my beer a bit chewier so ideally i'd like to start with a ruby or darker.

Yeah I did the tour too - well I say tour. The shortest tour I've ever been on but the tasting afterwards was worth the effort!

Hello and welcome, if you've a supplier close to you, I'd ditch the kits and go for an all grain brew. It takes a lot longer but the difference is astronomical. I just done my 2nd all grain yesterday and it's pretty easy.

You don't need expensive equipment, in fact everything you need should be around your home. You can even ferment in a 5L empty water container you can buy out of Lidl or Aldi.

I wish I'd have done this sooner. I find extract kits have a nasty twang to them.

Welcome to the madhouse. I too would recommend AG over kits but kits do give a valuable insight into some of the techniques we use and allow you to save money on ale while you build up kit. I prefer to go for a 2 vessel approach, boiler to mash ton to boiler again. There are a lot of people on here that do brew in a bag (BIAB) and make really good ales with that method. It's not for me for a couple of reasons mainly because I have my methods well set. I won't knock BIAB though it is getting a lot of people mashing.

Cheers and Good Beers

A

Thanks for the tips on the AG brewing. I think I will start with a kit for the first time, just so I can learn from mistakes quickly.

Cairngorms is a great tour, but the best one was Ringwood - the samples kept on coming until the tourguides got bored...which took AGES! :party:

Definitely worth starting with the kits if you want to get some basic understanding and experience - plus it will give you the chance to slowly build up your equipment.
That said, I would recommend moving to AG as soon as possible - the results are far more interesting and rewarding!
:drunk::drunk::drunk:

Latest posts

Back