Conditioning temps?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbiethegreat

Reaction score
Bottled a european lager last Sunday, ans the heat has fluctuated like crazy in the living room due to this heatwave..

What temp during the conditioning stage in the warm is recommended?

If it is too hot will it ruin the beer? Had a cheeky taste of one last night and there is very little carbonation yet :-(

Bottled a european lager last Sunday, ans the heat has fluctuated like crazy in the living room due to this heatwave..

What temp during the conditioning stage in the warm is recommended?

If it is too hot will it ruin the beer? Had a cheeky taste of one last night and there is very little carbonation yet :-(

I can't answer all your questions, but I think a temperature in the low twenties C is ideal. I bottled my Geterbrewed English IPA the other day and the same conditions apply to me, 20c to 25C. Maybe yours got hotter.

Don't be surprised that in a few days there isn't much carbonation. The yeast needs to slowly ferment the carbing sugar AND then the CO2 has to dissolve SLOWLY into the beer, else you will just get a little pop as you open the bottle (I use swing tops and they pop when opened). The standard recommendation is that the beer is kept at fermentation temperature for two weeks and then stored in the cool for another two.

In time, the C02 will be absorbed into the beer, rather than just escaping from the bottle when you open it.

I did like you did a few weeks ago with a newly bottled brew and after a week, there was a pop and next to no rising bubbles. It was flat. Three weeks later a very different outcome happened. If anything it was slightly over-carbonated. I'd gone for 2.2volumes of co2 and it was a bit much and I had to pour the beer into a 2 litre jug to stop it from foaming over the glass. I use the online carbonation calculator here ->

http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

Best thing is just to leave it in as near ideal conditions as you can provide as a home brewer. They are often slightly less than ideal. This is the difference between a HOME brewer and a MICRO brewer... :)

Top man, thanks for the response. Not a complete disaster yet then!!

I hope not, and I doubt it. :)

I bet you'll be enjoying a nicely carbonated beer or two in a few weeks.

I've had a few less than ideally carbonated bottled beers. One that seemed too lively at about two weeks, I let off some gas by opening my swing tops and then re-sealing them. Result.... At five weeks they were pretty flat and dull. Meanwhile the other three boxes of bottles that had been overly foamy, were actually ok in time when served from the fridge.... They did need the fridge mind. Served at room temperature I needed a jug to pour into, else the foam came over the top of the glass and of course with the yeast in the bottom of the bottle, you can't really afford to break that steady pour or you will get a yeasty glass of beer.

For a lager, around 19 -20 for warm conditioning, then cold (lagering). For ales, warm condition at the same temp as fermentation, then 10-12°c.

Latest posts

Back