Re-using stressed yeast do or don't

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Math_thomas

Reaction score
So my yeast it will have been stressed no doubt about that
I pinched at 30c by mistake. I know it will be ok but not ideal. Then it dropped down to 20c and started fermenting. Then with the heat atm it raised to 27c for a day. I quickly wired up a temperature control unit STC 1000 and put it in an old fridge and set it to 20c. ( a project I was going to do later but rushed through due to the heat) I know I will get some off flavours but I'll just have to cut my loses. It is an elderflower beer so the fruity flavours might be hidden.
I used WLP002 £6 and wanted to use it for another brew but will the yeast be ruined because of the change in temperature?
Any any advise welcome

I think the yeast will be ok ( they are active now) as they will happily ferment at quite high temps. The reason we like to keep them around 18-20 (ale yeast) is to stop off flavours. I'd be more worried about carrying across off flavours with the slurry. Have a taste before you re-pitch them.

What's the recipe by the way ?

Ok I'm a bit on the fence. I'll prob save some try washing it and do a yeast starter. I always find that my yeast starters taste/smell awful. But alwYs find it turns out ok
Thank you.

No I don't use a still plate. I think it is oxygen in the wort starter just making it like that.
I read a few posts that say the same thing.
I always think the my starters are infected but it never is.
Thanks for the link. And the comment.

I am a big fan of the very boring US Safale 05 yeast and have used a single "mother" brew to make a number of yeast starters for "daughter" brews.

I just decant the swirled around trub into 250ml PET bottles. Last time, I added no water, just left a bit more green beer.

Never had an issue with any of these, but I would never use a suspect "mother" brew yeast cake for the process.

Can't tell you the specifics of the bio-chemistry, but it just seems dumb to me. I would rather use the yeast residue from a "mother" brew I was 99-100% happy with.

Wow thanks, had a quick look at that loads of info amazing!
Think I'll cut my losses with this yeast and try that for next time. Just racked my beer into secondary and it tasted fine. Think it's due to the amount of hops and elderflower hiding the taste.
Thank you all for the input.

How many 250ml bottles do you make up?
Thanks.

Started with 3-4 bottles as the first attempt was with a Belle Saison and that is a very distinctive yeast indeed. That seemed a reasonable approach as it makes the cost of an expensive sounding yeast much more affordable if you divide by 4 or 5.

You study / teach maths BTW?

I studied as hard as I could and then as hard as I could be bothered at one time (1975-1980?). Still interested in the subject, of course, especially what areas are currently taught. Not wanting to clutter up the forum up with such-like, but you could PM me if you are intersted in a chat?

Here's a variation on what Slid does. I plan on using it soon. You can of course just use slurry instead of a bought liquid yeast

http://uk-homebrew.tripod.com/id45.html

Crikey, that's complicated. AND he brews a gallon of beer and discards it. I know its 'just' fermented spray malt but what a waste. When I was reading it I was thinking "surely he's not going to chuck this away" and he did :nah:

Can't help thinking that rather than brewing a gallon of disposable beer to propagate the yeast he should just brew a gallon of beer that he could drink.

(I'm from Yorkshire ;-) )

Crikey, that's complicated. AND he brews a gallon of beer and discards it. I know its 'just' fermented spray malt but what a waste. When I was reading it I was thinking "surely he's not going to chuck this away" and he did :nah:

Can't help thinking that rather than brewing a gallon of disposable beer to propagate the yeast he should just brew a gallon of beer that he could drink.

(I'm from Yorkshire ;-) )

I don't think you'd do it for every yeast you had. I'm going to do it with a Fullers strain I'm culturing up as it takes about 2- 3 weeks to do. So seeing as I've done the work to culture it up it will give me lots of splits and I could use each split 5-6 times, so I wont have to culture that strain up again anytime soon.

You right though, you could just make 1G of beer although if you read the whole process through, you see, you stir up the yeast cake prior to bottling so you'd have a large amount of yeast in the bottom of your beer bottles

I don't think you'd do it for every yeast you had. I'm going to do it with a Fullers strain I'm culturing up as it takes about 2- 3 weeks to do. So seeing as I've done the work to culture it up it will give me lots of splits and I could use each split 5-6 times, so I wont have to culture that strain up again anytime soon.

You right though, you could just make 1G of beer although if you read the whole process through, you see, you stir up the yeast cake prior to bottling so you'd have a large amount of yeast in the bottom of your beer bottles

I'd cope with that :smile:

Talking of yeast cultures. I made a lager batch last week and couldn't face chucking out the slurry so I poured it into a litre bottle and stuck it in the fridge. It has now settled to being 2/3 lager and 1/3 slurry. My plan is to brew something else, pour off most of the lager and use about 100ml of the slurry in 10 litres. That should work shouldn't it ?

You study / teach maths BTW?

I studied as hard as I could and then as hard as I could be bothered at one time (1975-1980?). Still interested in the subject, of course, especially what areas are currently taught. Not wanting to clutter up the forum up with such-like, but you could PM me if you are intersted in a chat?

just GCSE.
My name is matthew. Some people call me math for short. Might be a South Wales thing. :roll:

Thanks for all the info given.
My beer went down well with most people at a party I have on Saturday. :-D

I love elderflower in beer

just GCSE.
My name is matthew. Some people call me math for short. Might be a South Wales thing. :roll:

Thanks for all the info given.
My beer went down well with most people at a party I have on Saturday. :-D

I love elderflower in beer

Could be, I guess, Matt is the most common diminutive of Matthew around these parts.

Back on the Elderflower, here is the link to THE way to sort it (Elderflower)

http://wijnmaker.blogspot.co.uk/2008/02/vlierbloesemwijn-elderflower-wine.html

You need to scroll down the page to the English version.

Very useful - for next year :-D

Here's a variation on what Slid does. I plan on using it soon. You can of course just use slurry instead of a bought liquid yeast

http://uk-homebrew.tripod.com/id45.html

He says he keeps those starters for 6/8 months?! Really?!
Everything I've read on yeast so far says only to keep starters for about 4 weeks? If they actually keep for 6/8 I'm definitely doing that.

From each of those 12 bottles he creates a starter to multiply and create fresh yeast cells at the time of each brew. This should be fine, I reckon, as long as your sanitation is spot on.

Latest posts

Back