Only a Wherry

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slid

Forum Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
Did a brew today, but had no time for a partial mash brew. Last weekend, I didn't have time and also did not like the weather forecast much either, so skipped it.

Two weeks ago, on a family walk, I picked some Elderflowers, carrying them around in a paint straining bag, and made a cordial with them, along the lines suggested by some Dutch guy. I'll find the link in a Mo and post it up.

So today's Wherry (from the last Wilko sale) went on with this 2L of cordial and US 05, saved in little bottles that once held lemonade. No mash, no boil, no nothing. Somehow, I feel as if I might have let the side down.

Actually, I can't find the reference to the procedure, whereby, he picks his "screens" and leaves them for 24 hours, then shakes them to death in the plastic bag, then boils the detatched petals up in water and sugar for 15 mins.

Well, I never did find the advice on Elderflowers again. I don't think it is a great loss as the enhancement to a beer is fairly marginal, if I am honest.

It does introduce a bit of haze, little by way of taste and the bouquet vanishes fairly quickly.

I did another Wherry last week, using US 05 and will add a dry hop after 2 weeks, which I think US 05 really needs in primary. Maybe EKG, or just a mish-mash of the open bags in the freezer?

I am too short of time on the weekends at present for a partial mash brew and am using up the 2 can kits from a sale.

The Festival limited edition kit is basically an elderflower beer but from memory there are a lot of dried flowers to add.
Very tasty though but like you say,fades away.

There used to be advice on this forum some years ago called 'the black bag method' if I recall correctly...

Found this one http://wijnmaker.blogspot.co.uk/2009/05/vlierbloemen-oogsten-elderflower.html from here http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=34527&highlight=black+bag+method

Wonderful, that was the link I lost. Many thanks, Wraeccan!

I used a good 120g of wet weight petals in mine and it is slightly overpowering on its own. Even 2 months after bottling, it is a bit hazy and just a bit much.

If I were to use this as an additive to a kit again, I would use much less and add dry hops / hop tea as well.

Two weeks ago I did the last of the very cheap Wherry kits from the last Wilko sale and added a dry hop addition of EKG (40g or so) and the fag end of a Bramling Cross (15g perhaps).

Have not brewed much of late as my fascination with partial mashing over the last few months has basically used up all available storage space and worn out SWMBO's patience. No prizes on offer for which of these is the more limited. :electric:

Latest posts

Back