Sequential brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keirtristan

Reaction score
Has anybody brewed one beer immediately after another in the fermenting bucket?

I've read about reusing yeast but wondered if I could just stick my next beer straight in, no cleaning the yeast or the Fermenter for that matter? Obviously got to be careful with temps as don't want to kill the yeast.

Is this a big NO?

This was posted recently on another thread by @McMullan if it's any use to you:

"when you're ready to pitch into your fresh, oxygenated wort, remove as much of the beer from the yeast cake as possible, because you want the slurry at the bottom. Tilt the FV so the slurry gathers to one side. Then scoop out a good (150ish ml) ladle's worth of slurry and stir it into your fresh, oxygenated wort. Job done. I use a stainless ladle and sterilise it in the oven (150 degrees for about 15min). When it has cooled it goes in a bucket of starsan, until needed. Before scooping out the slurry, mist spray the air above the FVs with starsan. Spray your arm that's going in the FV as well. "

Thanks Baggybill. I think this makes sense but raises a couple of questions. I have 2 FVs but one is currently full of cider and will be tomorrow when I start my next brew. One is currently full of a stupidly hopped pale (maybe too hopped) and will be barrelled tomorrow. This will leave the slurry in that FV. I do partial mashes so my wort is normally made up mostly in the FV.

Given the advice I should take a good scoop of the slurry and transfer to something very clean. Discard the rest? Clean, create wort and then add the slurry?

I've started to create a starter regardless but haven't added yeast yet so may get away with reusing?

Back