Clearing time

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cockerhoop

Reaction score
Being making the same recipe a few times now trying to perfect my IPA. It never usually fully clears, which is OK with me. My last batch, has however nearly cleared in the bottle after only 4 days. Just wondering what could cause the variation. I don't think I have done anything very different this time.

Being making the same recipe a few times now trying to perfect my IPA. It never usually fully clears, which is OK with me. My last batch, has however nearly cleared in the bottle after only 4 days. Just wondering what could cause the variation. I don't think I have done anything very different this time.

Hi there,

We would all be delighted to answer, if only the question were slightly more specific and understandable.

Could you outline the recipe you follow and your methodology as a start point, please?

Correct me if im wrong but i personally think the yeast used has a good part to play. After using a liquid yeast (whitelabs) ive noticed alot clearer beers. Also keeping the bottles/keg warm for two weeks helps

Other connotations such as the amount of irish moss you added and how quickly it cooled and warmer bottles ect..Quite a few things really plus of course lets not forget no 2 brews are the same.

You could also consider that the slightly warmer conditions may have meant fermentation finished a bit earlier and therefore it would clear a bit.

Correct me if im wrong but i personally think the yeast used has a good part to play. After using a liquid yeast (whitelabs) ive noticed alot clearer beers. Also keeping the bottles/keg warm for two weeks helps

If you don't mind, I will. :wink:

You seem to be suggesting liquid yeast clears faster than dried yeast? But it's strain dependent. Both with liquid and dried yeast some strains clear (flocctuant) faster than others. But your general point is correct. If you have a less flocctuant yeast then you can get cloudy beer for longer. The workhorse dried yeast I'm using at the mo takes an age to clear.

I thought it was the opposite? i.e. that's the point of cold crashing

Cold crashing stops the yeast and most of it drops out as a result. I do this every time now. But during bottling and carbonation the small amounts of yeast get re-suspended. I've found that if I chill the beer immediately after carbonation it can stay hazy for weeks but keeping it warm it drops clear faster. I think this is because the yeast particles can settle faster in a warm liquid.

I think this is because the yeast particles can settle faster in a warm liquid.

This makes sense. One of the reasons to do a mash out is so you don't get a stuck sparge and can aid lautering because hot liquid is more viscous. So in a similar manner I imagine, as you say, the yeast particles can settle quickly.

Interesting :thumb:

I have no idea what the actual reason is but if I was asked to posit a theory, I'd say the reason warm bottles clear faster is that the yeast falls out of suspension sooner because it depletes the fermentable sugars faster.

If you don't mind, I will. :wink:

You seem to be suggesting liquid yeast clears faster than dried yeast? But it's strain dependent. Both with liquid and dried yeast some strains clear (flocctuant) faster than others. But your general point is correct. If you have a less flocctuant yeast then you can get cloudy beer for longer. The workhorse dried yeast I'm using at the mo takes an age to clear.

Haha thanks MyQul I've learnt something there. I just thought liquid yeasts are generally better than dried yeasts - probably based on that generally they are most expensive.

Latest posts

Back