I want to trysomething New-ish

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motorhomebrew

AKA - RobsHomebrew
Reaction score
ok so iv got a good amount of brews under my belt. all kit brews that is and I really enjoy brewing lager kits, blondes and so on. iv really enjoyed brewing kits and I still do but before going into mashing etc I would like to start tinkering with maybe dry hopping or something like that. changing the tastes of my kits. do you have any thoughts on a lager or blonde I can tinker with??? I have a temperature controlled fermenting fridge so I can brew with true lager yeast.

Most popular for tinkering seem to be fairly neutral kits like the coopers and youngs lagers, dry hopping is definitely the easiest way to start, followed by this and or steeping some grains, then you can get into partial mashes and so on. The coopers website has some really simple recipes to get you started or you can look at some of the guides on here. I was thinking of doing a basic pilsner kit with some steeped grains to turn it into a Oktoberfest style beer

It can be expensive but I like to steep some crystal malt and add it to a pack of medium spray malt then stick it in a wherry kit then stick a muslin bag with a handful of Goldings into the FV

Also this is a monster brew

1 Betterbrew Yorkshire Bitter Kit (�7 at Boyes)
1 Extra Dark Spraymalt
3 medium Spraymalt (�1 each short date and damaged bags)

250g Crystal Malt
250g Roast Barley

33g East Kent Goldings pellets
30g (approx.) Goldings hops
15 g goldings hops (end of boil)
Gervin Yeast

Steeped the grains barely simmering water for 45 mins
Strained out and added pellets and hops.

Boiled the hops for 45 mins and added the last 15g for the last 15 mins.

Added the Kit to the bucket, added dissolved spraymalts and hopped mix from earlier.

Got to say wow. Having said that I can't wait to make my first mashed brew in about 15 years soon

Wow (and I don't mean Wurzel's famous wine)

I usually check a brew after a week in the bottle and have just cracked this.

Talk about a serious ale. It's like a supercharged Guinness, more bitter grain flavour, deeper malt. (Mother says its a cross between cold espresso coffee and Dandelion and Burdock) Wow, highly recommended brew, now going to hide it for a couple of months.

I have had a CAMRA type friend compare this with Guinness Foreign Export Stout

ok so iv got a good amount of brews under my belt. all kit brews that is and I really enjoy brewing lager kits, blondes and so on. iv really enjoyed brewing kits and I still do but before going into mashing etc I would like to start tinkering with maybe dry hopping or something like that. changing the tastes of my kits. do you have any thoughts on a lager or blonde I can tinker with??? I have a temperature controlled fermenting fridge so I can brew with true lager yeast.

I too have been on the Coopers website and done a few of their recipes as you will see from my signature. You can change the hops for different types as well like I have. Simple but very effective!

when you did your blushing blonde how did you go about steaping your raspberrys? fancie giving me a step by step? id quite like to try that. how did it turn out? colour and taste?

Latest posts

Back