Recipe Help Please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billybacardi

Reaction score
Hi all, I need help with volumes and amounts etc, I want to do a 10 ltr (ish) all grain brew and have the following ingredients, 5 Kilos Maris Otter, 1 Kilo Dark Cara (crystal 30), 100grams Motueka hops and S-33 yeast. Could some one give me amounts to use to end up with about 10 ltrs, 4.5 - 5% abv. Pale Ale, thanks .:hat:

Try

Maris Otter 2kg
Dark Crystal 150g

Motueka 15g for 60 mins
Motueka 20g for 5 mins

Approx 5% and 30 IBUs

Motueka are lovely, that combo should work really well.

Thanks for the reply's guys, seems like adding the cara is going to darken it? don't really want a dark beer so i may just do a simple SMaSH beer. Its the volumes of water i'm unsure of.

What pot size are you using? it all depends on evaporation rates which can vary.

You could for example mash with 8 liters of water and sparge with 7. You will lose 2 liters to grain absorbtion giving you around 13 liters pre-boil. That is 3 liters to play with for boil off and you will lose some to hop absorbtion.

Thanks for the reply's guys, seems like adding the cara is going to darken it? don't really want a dark beer so i may just do a simple SMaSH beer. Its the volumes of water i'm unsure of.

Clibit's famous thread on Simple AG brew covers the volumes, but his is aimed at a 5 litre brew if I remember rightly so you would need to scale the water up.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=51779

From memory, for 10 litres it was something like 6 litres for the mash and another 8 for the sparge. Mine always came out a bit short after boiling, but when I started I was struggling with a 12 litre pot so I always had an eye on keeping it from boiling over. Obviously, some of the water is lost to the grain and some to evaporation during the boil. I am now tending to top up during the later stages of the boil with boiling water from the kettle if I am losing too much to the steam. Not sure if that is good brewing practice, but it seems to work for me. I came within about a litre of my target final volume yesterday on a 23 litre brew.

To end up with ten litres you need to add on your losses. Which are grain absorption (probably about 2 litres), evaporation (prob 2 litres ish but can vary), and trub losses (prob 2 litres ish again). Do you want 10 litres in the FV or in your bottles? Your first ten litre brew involves estimation, you can then adjust by how much you were above or below your target.

Thanks, i'm not that bothered about exact amounts ie 10 ltrs bottled or fermenting as its my first crack at all grain, I have a 16 ltr s/s pot that ive fitted a kettle element to and i control it with a regulator, works great. so i think i'll be ok for a full 10 ltr bottled amount.

Back