Help urgent !!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renton87

Reaction score
Hey guys I need your experience and expertise !!

I'm doing my 3rd brew it's a woodfords reserve 32pint kit . It's in it's 3rd week in FV and checking the gravity there are so many bits? In it undrinkable amounts ! I think it's yeast that hasn't dissolved possibly ?

What can I do to get rid of these before bottling ? Beer finnings anything ??
I don't want to throw this whole brew out ?

Cheers

What do you mean by bits? Are they floating or in suspension? It's fairly normal to have a few stray lumps of yeast floating on the surface.

More detail and a photo would help.

It's pretty normal. If you can get it in a fridge that would help the lumps to drop to the bottom. Otherwise you could syphon the beer to another FV and you should reduce the amount significantly. Fasten some sterilised cloth like muslin over the end of the tube that goes into the beer.

I had a brew like that, thought it was beyond repair but it all cleared nicely in the bottle, albeit with plenty of sediment at the bottom :)

Just to help you out, yeast doesn't dissolve, is stays in suspension and works then when the cells die they drop to the bottom of the FV. What the other guys are saying it right though. It all sounds pretty normal and time and racking will sort it out.

Thanks for the quick reply guys !

This hasn't happened in my previous brews so was wondering what it was , will beer finnings help ? I don't really know what these do ha !!
When u say rack u mean bottle it or keg it yeah ? Or move to 2nd FV this is like another bucket before bottling yeah ? I will try and get a pic of it in the hydrometer tube

In this case I mean move it to another FV with a syphon and leave it a bit longer. or (as I do) if it has finished and has reached it's FG stick it in a keg where those bits can just settle out. Honestly I have never used beer finings, I don't have it in me to knock out those extra yeastie beasties needed for secondary fermentation.

Dude every brew is different, sounds like nothing unusual. Bottle or barrel, wait for it to clear (might take a while in this warm weather) and you'll be fine.

Cool cheers guna bottle this on Friday , will put a pic of one of the bottles on and you guys can tell me if it looks normal ha

At the min it looks like a nice ale with a few gravy granules in ha

Hey !

Can anyone help me work out the % of my beer ?
I have used the usual way but it makes no sense , FG = 1025 ! SG = 1045 !
See pics u can see the hydrometer is no were near 1000 = water it's much higher , it tastes really strong !

I hopped ish ha with random stuff see pic eg skittles , fizzy fangs and love hearts ! I know really random but it tastes amazing really diffrent !

Ps. Bits have all cleared too

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back