Time to start that christmas beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK, wondering about either Brupak or Brewferm Christmas Ale, but open to suggestions of an AG kit.....

I figure if I get it in now, it can have the almost 4 months in the bottle.

( may double up if doing a smaller kit).

I guess I'm thinking, strong, spicy, rich, maybe fruity?

Thoughts?

Thanks

Martin

I think there is a recipe in the Greg Hughes book.

I'd go AG, dark, some treacle ( or better still molasses, holland and Barrett), not sure about spicy (but that's me) and maybe raisins/sultanas in the boil.

Oh, and high ABV of course :cheers:

My next brew is a summer ale with elderflower, not thinking Christmas just yet.

I don't go for spiced ales myself, I tend to go for darker, stronger beers at that time of year though. Porter, stout, ESB. 6% ish.

I have got a loosely historically-inspired strong brown porter on the go at the moment, should be ready for Christmas. Pale, Brown and Amber malts, plus some home cherrywood-smoked pale to 1.083. EKG to 50ish IBU (100g at 60 minutes in a 10l batch!). Was going to add some brown sugar to the boil, but decided against it. May prime with it instead. May also add some oak chips prior to bottling, but undecided at the moment.

Personally I detest `Christmas' ales - beer should taste of beer, not Christmas pudding.

If on the other hand you just want something warming, nourishing and very tasty - I've just bottled an `Olga's Oregon Stout' AG kit from the Homebrew Company and even at this stage it tastes fantastic though a bit strong for my taste at 6+ % ABV. As a member of the forum you also get 5% off.

OK, wondering about either Brupak or Brewferm Christmas Ale, but open to suggestions of an AG kit.....

I figure if I get it in now, it can have the almost 4 months in the bottle.

( may double up if doing a smaller kit).

I guess I'm thinking, strong, spicy, rich, maybe fruity?

Thoughts?

Thanks

Martin

Hi Martin

The Brewfrem Christmas Ale is really nice, brewed it a few times myself

Personally I detest `Christmas' ales - beer should taste of beer, not Christmas pudding.

If on the other hand you just want something warming, nourishing and very tasty - I've just bottled an `Olga's Oregon Stout' AG kit from the Homebrew Company and even at this stage it tastes fantastic though a bit strong for my taste at 6+ % ABV. As a member of the forum you also get 5% off.

I'm sure someone posted a recipe on here last year that did actually use a load of Christmas puddings!!!

Thanks Guys,

How about an AG Old Peculiar clone @5.7% (Worcester Hop Shop) - could even do it a little short....

and do a Brewferm Christmas Ale on the side!!

I'm really keen to be disciplined and get them done early - all part of getting ready...

..with all the heat recently I've put off my brew day.....so many beers I'd like to brew!

Cheers

Martin

Back