HBC Particular Peter's Stout Clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Reaction score
I loved this stout so much I'm going to have a go at cloning it. Here's the recipe.

PP Stout Clone

Original Gravity (OG): 1.047 (°P): 11.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.009 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.9 %
Colour (SRM): 30.2 (EBC): 59.4
Bitterness (IBU): 45 (Tinseth)

70% /3.5kg Maris Otter Malt
20% /1kg Flaked Barley
6%/300g Roasted Barley 300g
4%/200g Chocolate

52.5g + 5.3g Challenger (8.58% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) 45 IBU + 5 IBU for decreased hop utilisation

Fermented with Safale US-05

It's basically the Guinness recipe with Chocolate malt. My porter & stout book says dry stouts should be no more than 10% roasted malts so instead of 10% roasted barley I've gone for 6% roasted barley and 4% choccy

The original used Herkules hops and had a 10 min addition. I don't have Hekules and have Challenger in the freezer. Don't think the hop substitiution matters that much as it's just for bittering and I think any flavour you'd get from the herkules 10 min addition would be obliterated by the roasty malt flavours so I'm not bothering. Also as theres no point to late additions, saves me doing a micro boil the following day due to no-chill.

I'm also planning on doing this as a three day brew day so will be doing an overnight mash for the first time. First time using US-05 too.

That should be close, and it will be great even if it is slightly different. US05 will work well, what went in the St. Peters?

The original came with S0-04 but seeing as though it's supposed to be a dry stout I chose to go with US-05. I actualy made it with Mauribrew 514 last time as it requires a high attenuating yeast - the instuctions say 4.9% from OG 1.047 so that 80% attenuation needed

I loved this stout so much I'm going to have a go at cloning it. Here's the recipe.

PP Stout Clone

Original Gravity (OG): 1.047 (°P): 11.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.009 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.9 %
Colour (SRM): 30.2 (EBC): 59.4
Bitterness (IBU): 45 (Tinseth)

20% /1kg Flaked Barley
4%/200g Chocolate

52.5g + 5.3g Challenger (8.58% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) 45 IBU + 5 IBU for decreased hop utilisation

Fermented with Safale US-05

It's basically the Guinness recipe with Chocolate malt. My porter & stout book says dry stouts should be no more than 10% roasted malts so instead of 10% roasted barley I've gone for 6% roasted barley and 4% choccy

The original used Herkules hops and had a 10 min addition. I don't have Hekules and have Challenger in the freezer. Don't think the hop substitiution matters that much as it's just for bittering and I think any flavour you'd get from the herkules 10 min addition would be obliterated by the roasty malt flavours so I'm not bothering. Also as theres no point to late additions, saves me doing a micro boil the following day due to no-chill.

I'm also planning on doing this as a three day brew day so will be doing an overnight mash for the first time. First time using US-05 too.

Send me a bottle and i will tell you :grin:

Be interested in how this turns out to compare as I may ..ummm.... nick it!!:lol::oops:

I'm hoping it turns out to be a fair clone. If it is It will become my house beer.

I strongly suspect it is an exact clone because when I used brew mate to create it

all the malt figures are exact, nice round ones:

20% /1kg Flaked Barley
4%/200g Chocolate

to come to the exact stated OG of 1.047 with 72% efficency. No 7.3%/3.34kg's, it all tallys up nicely

Did you put this on? and if so how was the wort.

I assume you never bothered with the aroma hop addition, does seem pointless to me..

I am going to order some grains in a few days for two batches, Greg Hughes Saison and well... call the cops because your recipe is going to get stolen!

Did you put this on? and if so how was the wort.

I assume you never bothered with the aroma hop addition, does seem pointless to me..

I am going to order some grains in a few days for two batches, Greg Hughes Saison and well... call the cops because your recipe is going to get stolen!

Bought the grains today (challenger in the freezer already). The original had flavout addition which I added but don't think it did much if anything.

Well I nicked it off HBC so I think it only fair you nick it off me:lol:

The original came with S0-04 but seeing as though it's supposed to be a dry stout I chose to go with US-05. I actualy made it with Mauribrew 514 last time as it requires a high attenuating yeast - the instuctions say 4.9% from OG 1.047 so that 80% attenuation needed

Dunno why I thought it came with S0-04, checked earlier and it did in fact comee with US-05

Hi MyQul could i replace the Challenger with Fuggles or EKG? Also i have a packet of Golding hop powder, same one that comes with St Peters stout. Is it worth adding and lastly is Gervin GV12 alright? Its all i have. Thanks

You can use whatever hops you like seeing as the hop addition is just for bittering, although I'd go with Fuggles rather than EKG. I just chose Challenger because it was in my freezer and I kind of like it as a hop.

GV12 would be a great choice for yeast as this is supposed to be a dry stout and GV12 is similar to US-05 in that its clean, so the roasty malts really shine through and high attenuating for the dryness. The only reason I didn't use GV12 was because it hasn't got as high a temp tolerance as US-05 and

Brewed this up the other night but due to some distractions ended up using far too much water, lots more . Having a few beers probably didn't help but i corrected the OG with some extra sugar so fingers crossed.
Smelled so great gonna be trying this out again tomorrow weather permitting. Loving the no chill technique. I made a chiller but haven't bothered to get the hose yet. Seems so much easier to just let it cool down.

Brewed this up the other night but due to some distractions ended up using far too much water, lots more . Having a few beers probably didn't help but i corrected the OG with some extra sugar so fingers crossed.
Smelled so great gonna be trying this out again tomorrow weather permitting. Loving the no chill technique. I made a chiller but haven't bothered to get the hose yet. Seems so much easier to just let it cool down.

Great!

I'm not sure whether it's an exact clone yet though because when I took a gravity sample and tasted the sample jar it didn't taste as roasty/chocloaty as I remember the first sample jar on the original. However this might be because I don't thing the yeast hadn't finished (I think) as it was 1.014 and the original finished at 1.008. So a higher attenuation might lend itself to more roastyness coming through. Either that or I just need to up the percentage of roasted grains. Either way I still think it'll will make a fantastic stout

Back