Festival Razorback IPA Mini Mash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hops_and_Dreams

Landlord.
Reaction score
Another kit to use up, so I thought I'd substitute the sugar for some grain that needed using up too! I'm quite looking forward to this, should be nice and hoppy.

60min Boil
23ltr Batch
OG 1056

1000g Maris Otter
500g Vienna
170g Carapils

10g Simcoe 20min
10g Simcoe 10min
80g Simcoe 0min

1tsp Irish Moss 15min

20g Mangrove Jacks Workhorse rehydrated and pitched at 23c.

Added the two pouches of extract at flame out. Had a bit of an issue with the hops clogging up my sieve and straining bag, which made a bit of a mess on the kitchen floor, but hopefully nothing nasty got in.

Yeah I used two packs. MJ recommend two for anything over 1050 and after my recent stuck brew, thought I'd play it safe! At least it should ferment quickly!

I really don't like the work horse cuz the floccuation is so low. Takes an age to clear. With that much yeast in there you might get some 'yeast bite'. What I mean by this is you'll taste yeast in the beer because theres so much floating around in it. Just after the initial fermentation take a sample and have a taste. When I did this the last time I used the WH it tasted very bitter. This is because of yeast bite. Then leave the glass on the side for 30 mins and you'll see a large amount of yeast settle out onto the bottom of the glass.

When I bottled my bitter, the next days there was loads of yeast in the bottom, about twice the amount there usually is. I'm really not that keen on this yeast

Not a fan then! This is the first time I've used it, so i'll report back. I quite like the result of my Mauribrew, but thought I'd give this a go as it sounded 'cleaner' tasting.

Do you reckon leaving it in the FV for a third week may help? Guess I'll have to play it by ear.

Not a fan then! This is the first time I've used it, so i'll report back. I quite like the result of my Mauribrew, but thought I'd give this a go as it sounded 'cleaner' tasting.

Do you reckon leaving it in the FV for a third week may help? Guess I'll have to play it by ear.

I prefered the Mauribrew too. It was slow clear too but not as slow as the WH. I think lower floccuation might me a trait of high temp tolerant yeasts.

I'm going to try US-05 in my stout today as I've never tried it before. Has a temp tolerance of 25C

I like US-05, made my best beer so far with it - I've got a couple in the fridge, just wary of another heatwave. My last brew got up to 28c at one point, so have stuck with the high temperature ones.

I like S-04 too. If the Workhorse turns out to be a dud, i'll avoid Mangrove Jacks strains in future I think as the Safale range seem to be better.

It's as simple as it sounds. Although I was trying to keep it at no more than 22C, as an experiment using 500ml ice PET bottles which I did mangage to do but it was a bit off a faff as I kept having to swap out the bottles every 2-4 hours . With just water, and no ice bottles the water bath seems to keep the FV cooler by 1C than ambient temp

It's as simple as it sounds. Although I was trying to keep it at no more than 22C, as an experiment using 500ml ice PET bottles which I did mangage to do but it was a bit off a faff as I kept having to swap out the bottles every 2-4 hours . With just water, and no ice bottles the water bath seems to keep the FV cooler by 1C than ambient temp

I might give it a try next summer then, then I could use the yeast I want. Thinking out loud, what about those cool box freezer blocks? They might defrost slower than water?

I might give it a try next summer then, then I could use the yeast I want. Thinking out loud, what about those cool box freezer blocks? They might defrost slower than water?

Not sure about those cool box freezer blocks, never owned them. Do they have water in them? If not what's in them and do they take longer to defrost than water?

For this ferment I'm going to try swapping out the water bath water morning and night as well as adding ice to see if the ice takes longer to defrost therefore leading to less of a faff swapping Ice bottles so frequently. My tap water is 21C and the ambient temp in my brewing corner is 25C. So well see h things go.

Not sure about those cool box freezer blocks, never owned them. Do they have water in them? If not what's in them and do they take longer to defrost than water?

For this ferment I'm going to try swapping out the water bath water morning and night as well as adding ice to see if the ice takes longer to defrost therefore leading to less of a faff swapping Ice bottles so frequently. My tap water is 21C and the ambient temp in my brewing corner is 25C. So well see h things go.

Yes, not sure what's in them, but I think they're supposed to defrost more slowly than water. I assume the same would apply if they're in water.

What are you using for a water bath, i'm picturing a plastic crate or something? I like your plan, it sounds like low effort and more importantly, easy to sneak past her indoors (unlike a fridge!).

Yes, not sure what's in them, but I think they're supposed to defrost more slowly than water. I assume the same would apply if they're in water.

What are you using for a water bath, i'm picturing a plastic crate or something? I like your plan, it sounds like low effort and more importantly, easy to sneak past her indoors (unlike a fridge!).

I'm using a builders trug. £4 from B&Q. Not sure of the capacity but fits a 25L FV in it so may be 40L

I prefered the Mauribrew too. It was slow clear too but not as slow as the WH. I think lower floccuation might me a trait of high temp tolerant yeasts.

I'm going to try US-05 in my stout today as I've never tried it before. Has a temp tolerance of 25C

Have been using US 05 for some time now. It seems to need 2 weeks in primary and then a another week at least in a secondary FV before bottling. It does not seem to "explode" into ferment, the way the Coopers yeast often does. So I have left out the krausen collar on todays "kit only" stout - Coopers Original and Wilko Velvet Stout kits, plus 1kg table sugar at 27L.

Would have substituted a partial mash and added roast barley and chocolate malt instead of the sugar, but, TBH, felt too knackered to be bothered. I know this is a solid approach and in the summer, there are other things to be done!

This seems to have finished at 1015, I guess it's a bit higher because I used grain instead of the supplied sugar.

Not noticed any floccuant problems with this yeast, seems to be clearing as normal.

Chucked the packet of dry hops in this morning and will bottle sat/sun.

Bottled this morning, tastes nice and hoppy. Hopefully won't be too 'kitty', but I think real hoppiness hides this to an extent. I'm running out of IPA, so I'd like this to come good quickly!

Back