Smoked malt from Warminster Maltings

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peebee

Out of Control
Reaction score
Anyone tried this? Is it a particularly assertive smoked malt you need to be careful with or a tame version that you can bung in loads of?

I was considering about 1Kg in 10 UK gallons; about 15-17% of total grain (a mild). Will I be scratching my head thinking "what is that flavour" or calling the fire brigade?

So nobody tried it? In that case I went ahead with my guess.

No, its not particularly assertive. But you certainly know 15-17% is there. Might be brave enough to try 25-30% next time, but its fairly safe trying it at 20% or less should anyone else give it a go. No obvious reduction of extract using it to directly replace pale malt in the recipe.

Early on (pre-casking) there is a distinct flavour of smoked frankfurter (the canned cheap kind!) but this soon gives way to a more pleasant smoky note.

ooooooo ill be keeping an eye on this
(And for your benefit if still "keeping an eye on this")
I was a bit "quick off the mark" on my last post...

"You certainly know 15-17% is there..." yes, for about a week. And then I "didn't know it was there". The flavour didn't disappear, just "mutated" into a background flavour that didn't strike you as being "smoke". And this happened overnight. Strange process flavour maturation!

So I'll change my assessment to it being okay to try 50-60% next time. Perhaps even 100% replacement of the pale malt? And if the smoke flavour "mutates" away even at this level, well the "background" flavour (if you can notice it) is quite welcome. Although smoke flavour and mild actually has no real history, can't help thinking I've got a flat cap on when drinking it (even minus the obvious smoky flavour).

In case I inspire anyone else to experiment, remember this was "mild" and less than 6Kg total grain in 10 gallons. And it was Warminster's take on smoked malt; the results will be quite different if using 100% peat smoked malt (choke)!

Interesting post, thanks mate.
I've got a smoked oatmeal stout I want to try soon, keep us posted on any more developments!

Latest posts

Back