All Grain Barley Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodabod

Reaction score
Mash started this morning.

This recipe is from the Mikkeller book as it's my first barley wine, so I'm afraid I won't be posting the exact ingredients here.

7.4Kg grain bill
16L strike water at 79.5c
Pre-boil volume: 14L
Post-boil volume: 12L
Target OG: 1104
Target FG: 1028 or so.....
ABV: 10%
Yeast: Wyeast 1056 liquid yeast (1 pack)

Photos to follow....

My girlfriend thinks we are doing DIY (house renovation, not beer) today, and she already helped me mash in that ludicrous amount of grain, so I've had to go for just the 12L. Ideally, I'd do two and get a full batch as its barely any more effort to double your volume.

Some of the ingredients. Brown bags are caramel malts. There's a 25Kg bag of Fawcett's extra pale Maris Otter not in the shot.

aTLKOxvl.jpg

Good hops! Good luck with the mash. You could mash again over weekend and add it? One tube of liquid yeast wouldn't be enough for a full batch but adding more when the yeast is up and running would work.

As clibit says you may not have enough yeast. I was under the impression you were going to do a big starter.

I read of people who were doing a barley wine brewing a fairly neutral beer just so they can pitch the barley wine wort directly onto the previous brews yeast cake

Liquid yeast packets are designed to ferment 19 litres at about 1040. And that assumes they are in good nick. I think you could well be under pitching. Adding a sachet of US05 would solve it, it's the same strain as your liquid yeast.

I've got half a sachet of US-05 which was opened maybe a month ago. Or I've got four packets of S-04, but it has less attenuation abilities.

Brewers Friend yeast calculator seemed to think I would have enough numbers in the Wyeast. It's dated 6th July 2015, ie. two weeks since fabrication.

What do you reckon?

I wouldn't use S04 myself. The liquid yeast comes from USA so was it really manufactured a couple of weeks ago? If you trust the opened 05 packet add that. Or buy another?

That was definitely the most difficult brew I've attempted so far.

Apart from possibly underestimating how much yeast was needed, I had two other issues:

The Wyeast nutrient pouch didnt burst properly. I've ripped it properly to allow the yeast to get to it, while the rehydrated US-05 is having first dibs on the sugar. Will add shortly.

Because the wort became so clear, I actually forgot to add any protofloc. Following filtering the entire boiling wort through a mesh, I can't see how it would benefit from it, so I'm happy that I omitted it.

Thanks for the advice from everyone who has chipped in.

More photos to follow.

Heh.

Should be 3 months conditioning minimum.

Fermentation was well under way after a few hours, and it's now gurgling away.

I'd recommend these Wyeast starter packs given my experience so far. Just make sure you absolutely smack the nutrient pouch to make sure it bursts. The packs balloon when you do it properly.

Latest posts

Back