Newbie.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huxley001

Reaction score
I would like to ask help to develop a recipe that is simple and close to the type of beer that I sometimes like to drink.

First beer I made was a ipa liquid malt extract from a kit. I've since bottled it. Just waiting 2 weeks now.

I'd like to make a new beer so I could share with friends and family.
The brewing store at my home town sell generic unhopped liquid extract for around 9$ for 5 gallon batch. So I'd like to buy a pale ale and then buy some crushed malts , so I can try the liquid malt + steeping technique to add to my brew.

I do have hops in the freezer that I could use.
1. Simcoe hop pellets 13.3 Alpha
2. Citra hop pellets 14.5 alpha
3. Amarillo hop pellets 8.4 alpha

Beer tastes that I like : heineken, Carlsberg, Holsten (favorite),

What would be a recipe that I buy some crushed malts to steep then boil with pale ale liquid extract to make a flavor profile

You won't make anything like those three beers with those ingredients. They are all European lagers made with Pilsener/lager malt, European hops such as Saaz, and lager yeast.

But you could get some suitable hops and brew a beer with your pale extract, and some corn sugar to lighten the body, and ferment it with Fermentis US05 yeast, and you would get something fairly similar.

I would like to ask help to develop a recipe that is simple and close to the type of beer that I sometimes like to drink.

First beer I made was a ipa liquid malt extract from a kit. I've since bottled it. Just waiting 2 weeks now.

I'd like to make a new beer so I could share with friends and family.
The brewing store at my home town sell generic unhopped liquid extract for around 9$ for 5 gallon batch. So I'd like to buy a pale ale and then buy some crushed malts , so I can try the liquid malt + steeping technique to add to my brew.

I do have hops in the freezer that I could use.
1. Simcoe hop pellets 13.3 Alpha
2. Citra hop pellets 14.5 alpha
3. Amarillo hop pellets 8.4 alpha

Beer tastes that I like : heineken, Carlsberg, Holsten (favorite),

What would be a recipe that I buy some crushed malts to steep then boil with pale ale liquid extract to make a flavor profile

'Heineken, Carlsberg, Holsten (favorite)'? If you brew your own at home, they'll be much better. That's a certainty.

so what is a recipe I could make with pale ale liquid extract and steeped specialty grain. because thats the next thing I'd like to try is adding crushed grains for to taste and see the difference. :)

so what is a recipe I could make with pale ale liquid extract and steeped specialty grain. because thats the next thing I'd like to try is adding crushed grains for to taste and see the difference. :)
You could try Amarillo Single Hop Ale - for 40 pints at about 5% ABV:

Steep 8oz Carapils malt in 47 1/2 pints of water at 149°F for 30 minutes
Remove the malt
Add 8lb 8oz LME, boil (70 minute boil)
2oz Amarillo @70 minutes
1oz Amarillo @15 minutes
Protofloc/Whirlfloc/Irish moss @15 minutes
1oz Amarillo @5 minutes
3oz Amarillo @ turn off

Suitable yeast of your choice (American Ale?)

If you want to scale recipe size up/down, adjust accordingly!

Those are some lovely hops you have there.

If you like lager and haven't tried the following already, then give them a go: Bitburger, Warsteiner, Bernard, Pilsner Urquell, Budvar, Paulaner, Kuppers Kolsch, Peroni, Messina, Furstenberg. These are all better in my opinion than the lagers you mentioned.

You can make all sorts of "new world" pale ales and American pale ales with those hops there. That recipe above sounds good. In short, Amarillo has a soft taste with a tangerine-like citrus flavour, Simcoe is quite intense and pine needle like, and Citra has all sorts of tropical fruit flavours (some same citrus-y as per the name).

Thanks everyone.

I had one question: what do I call it when it's LME (liquid malt extract) plus steeping grains. Is there a name for that, so I can keyword search for recipes?

Thanks

oh and as for the hops I have. I think I have a good ounce of each one left

Thanks everyone.

I had one question: what do I call it when it's LME (liquid malt extract) plus steeping grains. Is there a name for that, so I can keyword search for recipes?

Thanks

oh and as for the hops I have. I think I have a good ounce of each one left
Full extract

thanks , I had a question. I'm going to go with an American pale ale

going to buy liquid extract
If the brewing store doesn't carry Carapils malt is crystal malt 40L okay ( I've seen it in other recipes )

and I might not have enough Amarillo hops.
If I use a small amount of my 'citrus" hops as bitterning hops and then more amarillo after

Latest posts

Back