JW Lees MPA AG Recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManseMasher

Regular.
Reaction score
A mate of mine has asked if I can knock up something similar to a Lees Manchester Pale Ale. I'm thinking 96% MO, 4% Crystal and plenty of Goldings. Anyone got a recipe that might help me out?!

Sorry no but their website says "The Real Refreshing Alternative. MPA is a golden ale made from all British malt, Liberty and Mount Hood hops."

If I was you I'd make him summat more like original Boddingtons, MPA is often compared to Boddies but is a pale imitation IMO! The Brit Hop recipe in the recipe forum is good, and along these lines. Boddies was basically Pale malt plus Goldings plus a very high attenuating yeast. Brit Hop includes Northdown as well, I like the combination.

Bungle asked the same question earlier this year,

Thats about as far as he got Clibit

Yes I saw that - was hoping someone might have come up with something since! clibit, I saw that on their site - what do you think of their hop choice? They both are aroma hops, and I would have thought they were more suited to lagers?

You can use any hops you like in an ale. And in a lager for that matter. And liberty and mt hood are both used in ales by micro and home brewers. Summer/ blonde ales typically.

The recipe will be simple. Pale malt, bit of crystal. Low-ish IBUs. It's a very 'soft' beer if that makes any sense. Soft mouthfeel and gentle hopping. All Lees beers are like that, the water and yeast must be factors. Too soft n gentle for my preferences. I got that kind of softness from Wyeast 1469. Wyeast 1318 might be suitable.

In BYOBRA 3rd Ed.It has receipes for JW Lees Bitter and Moonraker. I know there are some different receipes in the other two editions. Wonder if it has a receipe for the Pale Ale in the one of the other editions

Latest posts

Back