Bottling & Carbonation Drops Question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawson

Reaction score
Ey up chaps and chapesses!

So I bottled me brew last night - I've gone down the carbonation drops route for this first brew. I've had a gander at them this morning and I note that the carb drop has dissolved, but there is some white "residue" at the bottom - its the sugar from the carb drop I assume - now prior to putting the beer in the bottle, I put the carb drop in, then added the beer.

Should I have put the beer in first, then added the drop? Obviously its too late now, but for simplicies sake next time, I could do with knowing! If needs be, to get rid of said residue, will a gentle inversion be adequate without distrubing the brew too much?

Cheers! :drink:
D

So I bottled me brew last night - I've gone down the carbonation drops route for this first brew. I've had a gander at them this morning and I note that the carb drop has dissolved, but there is some white "residue" at the bottom - its the sugar from the carb drop I assume - now prior to putting the beer in the bottle, I put the carb drop in, then added the beer.

Should I have put the beer in first, then added the drop? Obviously its too late now, but for simplicies sake next time, I could do with knowing! If needs be, to get rid of said residue, will a gentle inversion be adequate without distrubing the brew too much?

D

Is the white layer yeast settling out? It wont hurt to upend the bottles a few times, whatever. In fact, it wont harm anything to shake vigorously, should you wish.

Is the white layer yeast settling out? It wont hurt to upend the bottles a few times, whatever. In fact, it wont harm anything to shake vigorously, should you wish.

I expect that most first brews get bottled a bit cloudy. If this was the case, then it could just be yeast, like Rob says. Either way, it won't make any real difference in the end. The sugar will be gone and the yeast will be at the bottom, and that's that!

D

Priming sugar first, then beer is the way to go for mine. Table sugar is fine for priming and is much less costly than the drops. You need a funnel to do this easily and if the beer goes in first, the funnel gets wet and that is a pain you can do without.

I would seriously consider using dextrose to prime, rather than drops. I know they make things easier - but on the two occasions I have used them the carbonation has actually been rather inconsistent.

While we're in this discussion, what's the modern thing to do with regard to space at the top of the bottle? How many cm between beer & cap in a 500ml bottle? Always used to be 1" in a pint bottle, then there was a school of thought that no space at all was safer.

I use a bottling wand. When the bottle fills right to the top, I remove it. This leaves about an inch in my bottles (pint bottles)

I 'adapted' my cheapo syphon to make effectively a bottling wand - filled to damn near the brim, removed the wand - not dissimilar in effect or resulting volume left to Grizzly.

Cheers for the opinions chaps, consider them noted and in effect for future brews!

I use carb drops and not had any issues so far. I put them in bottle before the beer and give a good shake (after capping!). I also go back and give each bottle a wee shake after about a week, just to wake up any sleepy yeasties to finish their work!

Yup bottling wand and if combine that with batch priming every bottle will be indenditcal.

When batch priming, I assume you need different quantities of brewing sugar for different sorts of brews? If so, how would one infer the necessary quantity?

Back