Larder fridge :)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcarm

Regular.
Reaction score
Just got myself a larder fridge from ebay for the princely sum of £15 :)

Going to turn my current brew fridge into a lagering fridge, and put the STC etc into the new fridge, so will be able to ferment 2 brews at the same time.

Now just have to rearrange the brew shed to get everything in there comfortably but should be ok. Also got some old wooden shelves that I can use to make shelves to support a full FV.

Might have to make a brew to celebrate. :)

Redid the brewery this morning with the addition of the new fridge :)

Looking forward to getting a brew done on Thursday, then a lager done so I can make use of the smaller fridge.

Not sure on the placement of the probe for when I have 2 brews in there, thinking that if it's on the top one the bottom brew might get too hot, or if placed on the bottom one the top one might be too cold, or will there not be too much in it?

OZrXssMl.jpg

9Oa5mFwl.jpg

m1LfMMUl.jpg

2u3dvc0l.jpg

Looking good :clap:

I find the bottom half in mine is usually a degree or two cooler than the top half. You can exploit this. Vigorous primary bottom shelf, secondary top shelf. Also, I'd recommend getting a heat cable that could be taped up and down the sides. This helps distribute the heat more evenly. If you're using an STC, keep an eye on it. The power surge (from large fridges) when the refrigeration kicks in can be too much. That's why I went for an ATC.

This is a question borne from curiosity (because I don't know but would like to!) - what current rating power supply are you running your extension lead from? I only ask because I was looking at getting another fridge but was concerned about the wiring in my garage being able to handle that, the washing machine, tumble drier and HLT. Obviously they won't all be on at the same time, but from what I can work out it's possibly a 16 amp ring? Are you running both fridges, the heater etc. from it?

Re: the temperature distribution I use computer fans to circulate the air in the fridge so there shouldn't be any hot/cool parts.

Interesting re: the power. I've got a brew fridge and a brew freezer. I recently replaced the fuse on the freezer taking out a 13 amp and putting in a 3amp. I didn't have the instructions and was trying to figure out what a red light was (it was saying the temp was above -16). I thought it would blow it the first time it switched on but it worked fine. So I wonder how much these things actually draw ?

I think the possible issue is when the controller switches to the cool side. When the fridge is switched, on there's usually a brief surge in power consumption. Bigger the fridge, bigger the power surge? After that, they draw very little.

I think the possible issue is when the controller switches to the cool side. When the fridge is switched, on there's usually a brief surge in power consumption. Bigger the fridge, bigger the power surge? After that, they draw very little.
I know the likelihood of them all coming on together is remote, but looking at the pictures I can only assume that one socket is powering a 4-gang extension, and I can see two fridges, a fan, heater, light, laptop and it got me thinking about current draw (and what I might be able to get away with!)

I know the likelihood of them all coming on together is remote, but looking at the pictures I can only assume that one socket is powering a 4-gang extension, and I can see two fridges, a fan, heater, light, laptop and it got me thinking about current draw (and what I might be able to get away with!)

Quite right, they don't all come on at the same time! You also missed the kettle in there but that doesn't get used!

I'm not sure of the current power load, there are quite a few electrical items in there but when brewing the only thing that runs is the brew fridge and the boiler. The other fridge is switched off when brewing and I leave it unopened so the temp stays roughly the same. The light is only used at night when I am doughing in as it is light in there during the day when I brew.

The laptop, again runs off battery while brewing (and this provides all my musical needs!)

I have found , in the lat couple of days, that the larder fridge is very good at maintaining a temperature. Every time I've gone in there to have a look it's been within the 1 deg tolerance I've set it to, so I haven't actually managed to catch it with the heater or fridge on.

I was using the fan to blow the steam out but brewed this morning without it and it seemed to be ok, just haven't moved it yet.

I might see about getting another circuit installed just to be on the safe side, but we're thinking of moving next year so might wait until then.

TLDR: most I have on at one time is the boiler and larder fridge/heater

Cheers mate, SWMBO would most definitely get the hump if I melted things in the walls so I guess I had better be careful! She's away for the next couple of days and I'm hoping I can convince her we have always had two fridges in the garage...

'Fridge? Oh that fridge? Yeah we've had that years. What do you mean you don't remember? We got that at the same time you agreed I can have a sports car' :)

Latest posts

Back