Trying to cross over to the dark side.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melyn

Reaction score
Over the last few months I have been lurking on this board, and others, gleaning information & wisdom with the aim of crossing over. During this time I have collected & built most the various bits & pieces needed for the task.
However, the main stumbling block and one that has held me back for weeks, is that I have no confidence at all in a plastic kettle, in fact the thought of boiling 30+ lts and maintaining that boil for 60+ minutes scares the shi** out of me.
I would be most humbly grateful, if the members reading this, who have boiled at least 5 times in a plastic kettle, could re-assure or even dissuade me, so that I can move on.
Before answering please consider the following
1. I have access to sparkies & plumbers who willingly offer advice, so that is not an issue.
2. Owing to a tight budget, big shiny things out of the question.

many thanks in advance

By plastic kettle I am assuming you mean the 5 gallon boilers such as this one

http://www.geterbrewed.com/peco-boiler-for-brewing-beer-all-grain-biab/

or this one

http://www.geterbrewed.com/peco-mashing-bin-beer-brewing-all-grain/

These sort of things are all I have ever used and they are fine. Polypropylene will take a hugely high temperature 160 to 166 degrees far higher than we can achieve in a boiler. I used a Bruheat for a long time about 15 years ago and now use the cheaper "boil only" option. Rest assured you have nothing to worry about there.

Hope that helps

A

maybe I should have explained the set up better cornyandy.
It is a betterbrew 5 gallon fermenter with 2 Wilko kettle elements.
It was advertised as being suitable for converting into a boiler.
I have test driven it, and it does soften considerably on the boil.
Thanks for your response

Do you have a max budget? Yes covrich, as stated in the OP a tight one.
Again I should have made my original query clear. I have assembled most of the equipment already, just that the thought of using the boiler makes my knees knock.
Thanks for your response

I've just googled "better brew 5 gallon fermenter" and all I get is a picture of a 5 gall clear plastic vessel. Is that the one you are using? Just going to try to find out what plastic it is but if it getting floppy in the boil I would be very wary.

Sorry I did mean literal but like you say you already have one.. well if you look on youtube you actually see many people make guides on converting Fermenting Vessells to boilers, so I think it would be fine..

Mr mirsultankhan you are a 5 star bloke.
That is the exact same fermenter/boiler as mine. I somehow missed this in my search, although I reckon I’ve been almost everywhere else.
this particularly raised my spirits- “the PP plastic can take the boiling temp”
Keep your feedback coming guys, not only of this fermenter, but of home build plastic fermenters /boilers in general.

I’m beginning to enjoy life again.

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VDKcUoiPYrY[/ame]

Speak to your local indian takeaway - these usually end up in the skip. I have five now, all for free - grain store, HLT, FV etc. Not used one to boil yet, but looks ok in the clip?

Absolute git to clean out mind - first three ended up down the local jetwash!

One like that might get a bit soft but it shouldn't disintegrate on you. I used to use a boots fermenter that got a bit floppy when I transferred hot wort but it never gave way.

Please don't laugh - what's the dark side? Stout?

Amongst HBers moving on from kits or extract to all grain is known as going over to the dark side - you'll notice a lot of Star Wars banter on the forum, especially as (Darth) Clibit is particularly keen on evangelising on the benefits of AG - He's fathered a lot of AG sons (and daughters) with is 'simple AG' thread

Oh god - I can hear him coming now - only instead of a light sabre he has a neon hydrometer. Claw, beware the clibit...

Had to be done...
sc4-darth-vader-149.jpg

:D

Give yourself up to the dark side. Do not fear the grain. The universe is vast, but the mashtun is small, and easily tamed. And you can use a bag anyway. Your wort might be dark, or it might be light. The choice is yours. And you may unleash the hops. Join us, for the future belongs to us, who dare to mash, sparge and boil. Only the weak continue with the tins, living forever in hope, but never in total fulfillment. Unable to take the tiny step to grainy ecstasy, for reasons known only to themselves.

Back