Taking the water...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if this is at all right and I will be interested to see what others think but I read somewhere that bottled water probably is not a good thing to brew with, I think it was mentioned that some light larger's benefit from pure water but the minerals in tap water helps with fermentation

Pretty sure that stuff is spring water, says it on the label so must be! In terms of minerals assisting with fermentation, I wouldn't know anything about that, but the bottled water declares the mineral content on the label. I have actually started using this stuff, got a youngs American IPA bubbling away with it right now.

Pretty sure that stuff is spring water, says it on the label so must be! In terms of minerals assisting with fermentation, I wouldn't know anything about that, but the bottled water declares the mineral content on the label. I have actually started using this stuff, got a youngs American IPA bubbling away with it right now.

So you are using Tesco Basic still water and it's working fine?

I don't always go by what labels say I prefer to go by people's experience where possible. I remember when Tesco Lasagne said it was beef but it contained horse ;) But if you've used Tesco still water at 17p a bottle I might give it a go. 10 Litres for £1.70 is pretty good (and we get it delivered too). I think the bottles it comes in are the same as the bottles they use for their pop so it might be suitable for bottling carbinated punch etc.

If the 17p water works ok I'll only get the large 5l mineral water when I need a demijohn cheap.

BTW Tesco is offering 2 x 5 litres of still water for £2.00 at the moment.

This is my first time using the 17p stuff, used the 24p stuff before fine. The 17p stuff says it is spring water, with nothing added. To be honest they both taste the exact same to me, and its bubbling away quite happy. Haven't used the bottles before but would prob be ok for your punch. Good idea using the 5l bottles as a demijon, one thing tho, would the ridges on those bottles create a ledge for the yeast to settle on? Might not be a problem.

This is my first time using the 17p stuff, used the 24p stuff before fine. The 17p stuff says it is spring water, with nothing added. To be honest they both taste the exact same to me, and its bubbling away quite happy. Haven't used the bottles before but would prob be ok for your punch. Good idea using the 5l bottles as a demijon, one thing tho, would the ridges on those bottles create a ledge for the yeast to settle on? Might not be a problem.

I've used the plastic bottles of demijohns and had no issue at all with yeast settling on the ridges on the sides. :)

Not sure if I'll use the 24p bottles of water, I'm not ready for creating a luxury line yet ;)

The 17p stuff says it's filtered.

Excellent think I might get me one of those. What do you do for an airlock?

Just use a standard Wilco airlock, I bought some rubber gromits from Ebay for pennies and my wife drilled holes in the bottle tops for me top fit the gromits (about 10-12mm)

Yes my wife did the drilling, she's the 'handy-man' in our house - does all the decorating too. She owns a drill (anniversary present from me last year - honest).

Tesco Everyday Value Still Water 2Ltr

Do you think this is any different to tap water for using to brew with.

I've been using spring water but wondered if this stuff would be any better than tap water (even though it is probably tap water).

Tesco's value water (TVW) comes from chase spring in lichfield. A few other companies source their water from there. Home bargains 6 x 500ml bottles for £1 comes from chase spring (crystaline).

If it was tap water they would not be allowed to use the term 'spring water'

http://www.britishbottledwater.org/bottled-water-the-differences.asp

I can confirm there's no film on a cup of tea made from the bottled water whereas there is from the tap. (tap water has added chlorine or clorowotsits)

Even though our tap water is down as soft, I can vouch TVW being better than tap. I don't buy Morrison's cheap water as they don't list the minerals and ph on the bottle. :nono: At least you can plug your water's mineral and ph figures into a calculator to see what it's best suited for brewing or what you need to add to replicate a particular beer style.

Good idea using the 5l bottles as a demijon, one thing tho, would the ridges on those bottles create a ledge for the yeast to settle on? Might not be a problem.

Yeast doesn't settle on the side ridges but finings does. Its tolerable as long as you are very careful when racking.

Actually London water is considered ideal for beer. I use it for wine. Mind you, it's not nice to drink unfiltered!

London water is fine for dark beers like Stouts, Porters and dark mild, I have cracking stout clone conditioning at the mo but I'm finding it needs treatment for pale ales/bitters as it's too high Alkalinity/hard

I actually don't mind drinking the tap water. Guess I'm used to it now

I've used the plastic bottles of demijohns and had no issue at all with yeast settling on the ridges on the sides.

I found they did get some sediment settling when clearing, a quick spin (not vigorous) every day dislodges it and by the time its clear there is nothing left.

Latest posts

Back