I want to get get punch drunk but...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatDad

'Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat'
Reaction score
I posted this on second2none's simple tropical punch thread but haven't had a reply as I fear it may have got lost in amongst all the posts there.

Anyway I have a problem...

My peach version has been bubbling away like a trooper for the last 2 days but this morning it has stopped for some reason. No activity at all after two days of bubbling and a nice froth on the top to no activity and a distinct absence of froth.

Air temperature has been pretty steady around the 70-73ish degree mark.

Anyone had this? Any suggestions what my next course of action should be?

PLUS, since posting the above yesterday my other demijohn of Strawberry and Kiwi has stopped dead in its tracks too.

Any suggestions would be welcome. I'm very tempted to tip some more yeast in both rather than having them sitting on the table looking at me like a couple of naughty kids and doing nowt. Cheers guys.

I've just checked them and the Peach after 3 days is at 1.008 and the strawberry and kiwi after 2 days is at 1.012. Does this sound about right?

I would say that's about it, these are not going to ferment for long because effectively you are only fermenting a sugar wine with a bit of flavouring from the cordial.

Would I be okay to rack it into demijohns for a week before bottling because my bloody bottles haven't arrived and I need to get a hand capper (I wasn't expecting this for another week lol.

Honestly I would leave it where it is, with the amount of lees produced from what is essentially a weak wine they won't really affect the flavour with any speed, and there will be no pulp from fruit to worry about. (I just stick it in 500 pet ex water bottle tbh)

Cheers

A

Honestly I would leave it where it is, with the amount of lees produced from what is essentially a weak wine they won't really affect the flavour with any speed, and there will be no pulp from fruit to worry about. (I just stick it in 500 pet ex water bottle tbh)

Cheers

A

Is it ok to carbonate in ex water bottles with screw caps?

I do it in ex sparkling water bottles all the time (as long as we are talking natural carbonation , I have no idea about mechanical means of doing so)

I do it in ex sparkling water bottles all the time (as long as we are talking natural carbonation , I have no idea about mechanical means of doing so)

Thanks for all your help mate. I mean carbonation using sugar.

yep that's no problem I bottle all my non kegged beer in ex 1.5 litre sparkling water PET from Lidl, and these punches in any 500's I can find.

Brilliant stuff - answers so many questions I had about bottling too.

I would say that's about it, these are not going to ferment for long because effectively you are only fermenting a sugar wine with a bit of flavouring from the cordial.

Mine has been fermenting for two weeks! when I started it I was telling every one we would be drinking it in three weeks time lol

I find 24-48 hours incredibly fast to ferment all the sugar into alcohol. It has been 70 degrees + the whole time but even so, it's very quick - the hydrometer does appear to show it is ready (or there abouts). I'm looking forward to seeing if this works.

Ah just saw this one mate, I checked to see what the gravities were on the one I made..

SG 1.045
FG 1.000

yours might be on the weak side at 1.008/1.012

have they been at that for a couple of successive days ? Sure mine looked like it had gone quiet but took about a week-9 days to ferment out

Latest posts

Back