• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to The Homebrew Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted: Cheap Grain Mill

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul3944

Reaction score
Looking at buying grains in bulk to save on postage.

Does anyone have a cheap grain mill lying around unused :cheers:

Regards
Paul

its a bit fiddly to get right and well they are not the most elegant but once setup (and washed) they work a treat

No kidding!! Not sure where mine was purchased from (a present) but it's the '500' type, which is supposed to be a v.cheaply made far east copy.

Out the box, it was terrible, plates wouldn't line up and couldn't get a fine crush. After watching a few helpful videos on them (thanks to forum members posting links!) I've been able to tweak it and adjust it a bit using washers, removing/straitening pins and removing spacers.

Tbh, I was pretty shocked at the quality of this thing for the money, especially since I had to do a bit of work to get the thing to function as intended. If I had bought it, I would have returned it but like I said, it was a birthday gift.

Thanks for the quick replies, will check out the one linked above if nothing comes along.

After a bit of googling I found this http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/The-Roller-Mill.html#.VbgC13CkqrU Which is half the price of a similar mill in my LHBS.

Regards
Paul

that is the style of mill i have...

though not from that vendor

i have crushed prob 100kg + with no issues

however they tend to be advertised as being able to be used with a drill

when they arrive the small print advises you it will void warranty if you do so..

No kidding!! Not sure where mine was purchased from (a present) but it's the '500' type, which is supposed to be a v.cheaply made far east copy.

Out the box, it was terrible, plates wouldn't line up and couldn't get a fine crush. After watching a few helpful videos on them (thanks to forum members posting links!) I've been able to tweak it and adjust it a bit using washers, removing/straitening pins and removing spacers.

Tbh, I was pretty shocked at the quality of this thing for the money, especially since I had to do a bit of work to get the thing to function as intended. If I had bought it, I would have returned it but like I said, it was a birthday gift.

I never had to go that far, it stunk like the inside of a diesel engine and it was tricky to get it right because at first it was grinding shrapnel. But after a bit of messing and tweaking (no other washers or bits ect) it grinds a biab style fine grist now straight off the bat.

I never had to go that far, it stunk like the inside of a diesel engine and it was tricky to get it right because at first it was grinding shrapnel. But after a bit of messing and tweaking (no other washers or bits ect) it grinds a biab style fine grist now straight off the bat.

I remember those posts of yours and wondered how you'd got on with it. The original Coronas were cheap and cheerful and crude but they certainly worked. I thought you'd get it fettled in the end. The thing is as simple a machine as you could dream up so hard not to be able to fix it.

I remember those posts of yours and wondered how you'd got on with it. The original Coronas were cheap and cheerful and crude but they certainly worked. I thought you'd get it fettled in the end. The thing is as simple a machine as you could dream up so hard not to be able to fix it.

Yup it works well it is a bit messy though the grains can fly out a bit.. i try and use a large mixing bowl to keep them in but it still makes a little mess..

Haven't quite mastered the best way of doing it yet

I take it the grain mill mentioned which has manufacturing issues is the same in the following YouTube video http://youtu.be/71TJqeP0o1M

Looks like a lot of faffing round with the potential to have metal shavings in your grain.
Regards
Paul

I take it the grain mill mentioned which has manufacturing issues is the same in the following YouTube video http://youtu.be/71TJqeP0o1M

Looks like a lot of faffing round with the potential to have metal shavings in your grain.
Regards
Paul

You only get shavings if it isn't adjusted right. Also - its less of an issue with beer than with bread where you eat the output. I have a £160 flour mill with stones and metal grinding burs which you can swap in. That mill will put stone in the flour or metal bits if you mis-adjust it so the wheels are actually grinding one another. It's just a feature of that kind of mill. Less likely with a roller mill though I would say, unless you adjust the rollers so they are interfering with one another.

Latest posts

Back