Winter ale.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HebridesRob

Landlord.
Reaction score
Looking for someone to help with hops & yeast.
Recipe will look something like...
about 1.075 OG
83% Pale malt
9% Crystal malt
5% Black treacle
2% Chocolate malt (low colour)
1% Black malt
Some ginger
Some cinnamon

I think hopping at beginning of boil and 30 mins from end, don't want to overdo the hopiness and kill the flavours I have. looking for about 35 IBU, I think, would normally have used Fuggles but thinking maybe Target then Williamette to ring the changes. Anything fruity/spicy but not too overwhelming out there? Any suggestions?

Yeast wise, I need something that'll generate loads of esters. Clibit has been espousing the virtues of Mauribrew Weiss but that isn't sold by Geterbrewed. Anyone know if Safbrew T-38 would substitute? Anything else?

Thanks for reading all that^ I tried to be concise! :nah:

Thanks, that helped.

So many options & I'm afraid to pick one in case I get it wrong. I'm suffering from "tyranny (or paradox?) of choice" here, I think.
In my mind mate you can never get it wrong. It will be beer, that you've brewed, and you'll like it a lot or a little. If it's the former, do it again, the latter, try again. Either way, there'll be an 'again'!

Hops, maybe Challenger. Aroma hops not needed with a winter ale with spices.

Yeast, wide choice. Wyeast 1968, or 1728 perhaps. US05 would do a good job though too.

Back