Windows 10

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I am installing it on my laptop as i type this on my desktop, i will see how it works before installing on my desktop.

Windows 10 feels familiar yet better than ever - it combines the best features of Windows 7 and 8 for fun, intuitive and productive computing whatever your experience level.

Best of all, Windows 10 is available a free upgrade on all of our laptops, desktops and Windows tablets. Windows 10 is packed with great new features for staying organised, having fun and getting things done. It's the Windows you know and love... but better.

I think I may have found a large flaw in my plan, desktop is windows 8.1, laptop is 7. :doh:

I think I may have found a large flaw in my plan, desktop is windows 8.1, laptop is 7. :doh:
]Best of all, Windows 10 is available a free upgrade on all[ of our laptops, desktops and Windows tablets. Windows 10 is packed with great new features for staying organised, having fun and getting things done. It's the Windows you know and love... but better.

windows 10 only available as a free upgrade for windows 7 & 8, otherwise £99.99

A slightly misquote there, the line you quote is under the part where it says for 7 & 8 it doesn't say free for all versions!

good plan.. i have a test machine waiting for it

We've been using it in the office for the last six weeks or so, and it's been behaving itself.. but we only run pretty much standard MS Applications and Sage - not a whole lot else..

The fun starts when customers just go and install it without checking whether there's a driver available for that old scanner or printer that we had to force kludge their Windows 7 and 8 PC's to play nicely with - let alone a brand new OS :doh:

A slightly misquote there, the line you quote is under the part where it says for 7 & 8 it doesn't say free for all versions!

Correct - Home and Pro upgrades are free - Ultimate editions are a whole different thing. Our MS subscription included Windows 7 Ultimate some time ago, and that was about the only machine we didn't get the auto-download option with in the office.

But MS had already sent us the media kits in our latest updates, so it wasn't a problem. Always a worry when after so much testing, that you finally commit to changing the one on YOUR desk though :eek:

I always find new versions of Windows to be a bit my homebrew, best to give it a month or so before trying :p

well win10 needs more time in my FV!

got to 81% then the final push and nothing. A black screen no mouse or keyboard light, but hard disk thrashing away. went for a shower, 40 mins later it has restored back to win7 home prem.

I had 0x8007002c - 0x4000D

usb or a/v related. will read up a bit more and try sometime thursday pm:pray:

I'm in no hurry to install it to be honest. I am running all kinds of peripherals and old software that sits nicely on windows 7 - I like windows 7 to be honest. I'm waiting until I have a couple of days spare so I can deal with any issues that crop up.

I also like to wait until I see if any major issues crop up with the people who install it first.

If it plays nicely on my PC I'll install it on the other computers around the house (wife, kids computers etc.)

All went smoothly (lsh) the desktop is fine the laptop is working fine but there is no start menue, it was late by the time it installed and if I remember right I had to update the desktop, I will try it again later.

SWIMBO has a Windows 8.1 laptop (mine is linux) and I registered to upgrade hers a few weeks back. I believe the files have been downloaded already, but there is no icon or message to install yet (30th July). As I understand it, you get a message of some sort to initiate the install.

Has anyone else registered to upgrade and not had an invitation to execute the change?

I didn't get any message I just clicked on the white windows icon bottom right of screen and it started the download and install.

I forgot to post this last night. :doh:

Zone alarm firewall (the one i use on everything) no longer works, i am using windows firewall as i little looking round last night made me worry a lot less about it not being up to the job.

I am sure there will be a ZA update soon.

I forgot to post this last night. :doh:

Zone alarm firewall (the one i use on everything) no longer works, i am using windows firewall as i little looking round last night made me worry a lot less about it not being up to the job.

I am sure there will be a ZA update soon.

I haven't used zone alarm for years.. I just use windows which I know isn't great and teh router should have a hardware firewall built in.

got to 81% yesterday then it froze and rolled back to previous os. The error message it left gave me info how to resolve. So I did and i'm now on win10. played built in candy crush. lol

W10 is free to help build their app store which is a poor 3rd to android and ios.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

is the link to directly download w10.

a couple of hours will normally sort the 'upgrade' for you.

Regards,

DOJ

I found this today and turned it off. :shock:

Settings, update & security, windows update, advanced options, choose how updates are delivered.

a33333333.png

Latest posts

Back