Thin feel Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enashnella

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been brewing 1 gallon batches using malt extract (DRIED) steeping crystal malt and boiling selection of hops for bitterness, flavour and aroma. I am quite surprised my first batches are turning out. They are clear, well carbonated, nice aroma and flavour. However, they are all .... and in my best words 'thin', sort of like pop consistency, unlike ale you buy that can be creamy or have some thickness to it. Is this what you call body?

Advice would be most welcome.

Thanks

Hi All,

I've been brewing 1 gallon batches using malt extract (DRIED) steeping crystal malt and boiling selection of hops for bitterness, flavour and aroma. I am quite surprised my first batches are turning out. They are clear, well carbonated, nice aroma and flavour. However, they are all .... and in my best words 'thin', sort of like pop consistency, unlike ale you buy that can be creamy or have some thickness to it. Is this what you call body?

Advice would be most welcome.

Thanks

Hi there!
And welcome to the Forum.

The most likely answer is that you are not adding enough DME per gallon, but there could be other reasons. 500g DME per gallon should give a decent amount of "body", for example.

Sounds like you are doing most things right here, so maybe an outline of your general approach might help.

Hi,

Think you have just answered my question. I make it up to 6 litres by adding sugar in order to make the brew cheaper to make.

Making up to 4.5l with DME, hops, yeast etc came to over a £1 per litre which seemed expensive.

Thanks

Hi,

Think you have just answered my question. I make it up to 6 litres by adding sugar in order to make the brew cheaper to make.

Making up to 4.5l with DME, hops, yeast etc came to over a £1 per litre which seemed expensive.

Thanks

Absolutely nothing wrong with what you are doing, BTW.

The commercial 1 can kits are basically half alcohol from malt, half from sugar. The better ones (I like the Coopers Lager) make very drinkable beer. It is not aspirational, and very thin, but if you are used to supermarket lager, then it is OK and cheap.

Lots of advice on the Forum about using grains, which are cheap, and make better beer.

There is some advice on this subject here:

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=51779

Gervin is a great yeast and clearly has it's place but when I used to use it I regularly got 80%+ attenuation. This is one reason (might be the reason) you beer is thin. You want to be looking at something around 75% attenuation, US-05 (a clean yeast but not quite as high attenuation) or S0-04 (not so clean, some esters better for english styles)

Latest posts

Back