I need a few bits for my corny set up

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I`ve obtained a few cornys,a regulator,a full tank of co2 and a lager tap.I need a connection to fit the regulator to the tank and tubing to run from beer out on corny to the tap and from the co2 to the corny.I`m not sure of tubing sizes and where to get the adaptor, from the regulator to the tank.
Could anyone give me some links or advice please?

Normally the regulator fits directly onto the tank. Regulators used for welding are favourites ('cos they're cheap) but folk like CO2 Art do very nice ones for fish tanks (careful, some fish tank ones are just "flow regulators" and do nothing for the pressure).
What regulator are you trying to fit? The tank side needs to take the 8-900PSI from the tank, and it should regulate down to 0-4Bar (0-60PSI). These "primary" regulators are fairly coarse in their adjustments, and to get finer regulation you have "secondary" regulators that can't take the tank pressures, but provide finer control (I have secondary regulators to get 7.5-10PSI adjustment from the 4 bar "primary").
Lots of places sell "beer line" pipe to get the CO2 where you want it. And there is a wealth of "john guest" fittings to connect the pipe to where it's going to (or coming from) including connecting to corny disconnects. 3/8" pipe does the job for CO2, but you might use 5/16 or 3/16 pipe for moving the beer about.

Beat you to it!

Don't be fooled by the tiny cylinder in the piccie (it's my "transportable" option), when they contain liquid co2 the pressure is always the same (depends on temperature) whatever size the cylinder. An adapter emulates the connector normally found on big cylinders, and to this is connected the primary regulator (here by CO2Art; like I previously blabbered on about).

Can't control the output of this regulator (fixed at 3.5 BAR) but it feeds a secondary regulator attached to the "cornie" disconnect: This one is a modified "airbrush" regulator which can output a little as 4-5 PSI. Plenty of "john guest" fittings evident to make this happen.

2015-07-20 14.53.38.jpg

Cylinder look like what to expect. Regulator looks right (can never understand why these CO2 ones come with gauges that read 1000s of PSI; it can only ever use the first 1000; and what is that telling you? If it shows 4-500 PSI or less you need to think about getting a refill? No! You need a refill NOW, its almost empty!). But. The regulator has no female threaded section to connect it to the cylinder, as you well know. Can't suggest anything off-the-shelf or even tell you why it's like that. Keep asking about!

Weird. I thought most cylinders were female. My fire extinguisher is. Reg came from eBay £70. Used 3/8 piping for co2 to keg. Then short piece of 3/8 from keg to john guest step down fitting then used 3/16 to tap. Originally stepped up again to 3/8 for a picnic tap.
I use about 5 foot of 3/16 but I'm finding it slowing the beer too much.
Sorry I'm not much help.

I'm grateful of all help and advice. I think I'll just buy a new regulator from eBay. I've tried 3 local heating and plumbing outlets and they had nothing. 1 last place to try 1st.

Back