Wherry Experiment.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveB67

Reaction score
Well tonight i thought i'd give something different a go. I'd just bottled up a Woodfordes Admirals reserve and thought about what to do next.
I hunted through my bits and bobs and found a wherry kit, a kilo of beer enhancer and a packet of Gervin GV12 yeast. So at Sg 1060 its going to a bit feisty when done. I don't know whether to bottle or pressure barrel it, also any suggestions for hop additions? Anyone else done this?
Cheers
Steve

I've played a bit with Wherry in the past and I usually stick it in the King Keg. My favourite play was a bag of medium spray malt. the steepings from 300g of crystal malt and a good handful of goldings in the FV in a muslin bag I think you can just about use Wherry as a base for pretty much any English Style ale.

One of my best Stouts was made from a Better Brew Yorkshire bitter kit (and a lot of add ins) Just as an aside.

Cheers Andy,
I've ordered a few hop tea bags, one of which is 20g of Goldings. So i will make a tea and chuck it in. This brewing malarkey is all about experimenting, and finding out what is good and bad for you. The brew is slowly bubbling away in the corner of the kitchen. Once its finished i'll put it i a king keg and try to leave it for as long as possible. I've two others conditioning at the moment, so fingers crossed it may get left for a month or so.
But, then again!!!:-D

Well tonight's the night.
Brew down to 10.10 so is going to be about 7.5%. Its a completely different animal to a wherry. It smells fantastic and tastes really really good even straight out of the fermenter. Far better than the original wherry as far as i'm concerned,
Its still a bit cloudy, but as i said I've only just syphoned it into the king keg and batch primed with 90g of golden granulated.
The only problem now is having to wait!!!!!
Luckily i have two other brews to take my mind off it for now. :-D

I'm drinking a Wherry with some of the malt millers East Kent goldings hop oil in. Delicious.

Hi Dave,
I have to agree it smells and tastes fantastic. This really has the makings of a great beer. The best i've made so far. Although, i really liked the Woodfords Admirals reserve and the Coopers Stout (with additions!!), this one seems to be a winner. :thumb:

My next brew is going to be the Wherry kit,have got the safale US-05 yeast,and I have also got a 1kg pack of Youngs Brew Enhancer (spray malt/dextrose),to throw into the mix,I was thinking of only adding enough bottled water to bring it to 20 litres in total to raise the ABV,would this be a good idea? (with the Youngs Brew Enhancer).
Only my second brew,and it is going into a keg.Any suggestions on how a newbie can improve the Wherry kit?,I would love to know!.

Brewing short will improve your beer and give a little more abv, also you could try dry hopping at the end of fermentation before you bottle or keg

Well tonight i thought i'd give something different a go. I'd just bottled up a Woodfordes Admirals reserve and thought about what to do next.
I hunted through my bits and bobs and found a wherry kit, a kilo of beer enhancer and a packet of Gervin GV12 yeast. So at Sg 1060 its going to a bit feisty when done. I don't know whether to bottle or pressure barrel it, also any suggestions for hop additions? Anyone else done this?
Cheers
Steve

Did you make it up to the 23 litre/40 pint mark?,or did you make it up with less water?.

Brewing short will improve your beer and give a little more abv, also you could try dry hopping at the end of fermentation before you bottle or keg

Thanks for that!.I was wondering wether brewing short,AND adding a kilo of BE would be going overboard and end up with the end product tasting foul!....I only live 2-3 miles away from the Woodfordes brewery,and TBH my favourite brews of theirs are the stronger ones:-D.A few years ago,their 'Headcracker' was apparently 9% from the pumps,and very nice it was too.......:cheers:

I am new to 'hopping',so I will have to do a bit of homework!.It is only my second brew...LOL!.

Thanks for that!.I was wondering wether brewing short,AND adding a kilo of BE would be going overboard and end up with the end product tasting foul!....I only live 2-3 miles away from the Woodfordes brewery,and TBH my favourite brews of theirs are the stronger ones:-D.A few years ago,their 'Headcracker' was apparently 9% from the pumps,and very nice it was too.......:cheers:

Ive done quite a few Wherrys always brewed them short to 20ltr mark, also i have dry hopped a few with east kent goldings for 3/4 day before i bottled, its a lovely drink one of my favourites, 9% wow not a session drink :nah:

Ive done quite a few Wherrys always brewed them short to 20ltr mark, also i have dry hopped a few with east kent goldings for 3/4 day before i bottled, its a lovely drink one of my favourites, 9% wow not a session drink :nah:

LOL!,I am sure it was 9% about 10 years ago,I remember I encoraged a new girlfriend there on a 1st or 2nd date,and I ended up drinking about 8 pints...needless to say,she drove home....:-D

I think I will 'encourage' the wife (not the GF mentioned above BTW) to drive us to the 'Fur & Feather' in the next week or so....LOL!

I did mine slightly short at 21 Litres, brew enhancer and a goldings hop tea bag. I have to say i'm proper chuffed with the outcome. i might have to stock up on a few wherry kits whilst Tesco has them on for £16ish.
Bargain!!!

Back