Irish Red Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been sitting on this recipe for a while, but hopefully will be brewing on Saturday and sticking in the polypin ready for the August bank holiday BBQ. Any comments on my recipe?

Batch size - 11l
Estimated OG - 1.049
Estimated FG - 1.011
Estimated ABV - 5.04%
Estimated IBU - 24.4
Estimated Colour - 25.5 EBC

60 minute mash at 66.7°c

2.2kg Loughran Pale Ale Malt - 89.1%
130g Bairds Crystal Light - 5.3%
100g Bairds Crystal Dark - 4%
40g Roasted Barley - 1.6%

18g East Kent Goldings - 60 mins - 19.2 IBU
8g East Kent Goldings - 20 mins - 5.2 IBU

Yeast - US-05 (Wanted to use Nottingham but was out of stock)

I have decided to use the Loughran Family Pale Malt. Does anyone have any experience of this compared to Maris Otter? I think I'll bung in a 100g or so to cover any difference in conversion etc. I may also mash for 90 minutes to be on the safe side.

The Crystal 40 will be Bairds Light Crystal and the 80 will be Bairds Dark Crystal. They seem to be in the same colour range, so hopefully it won't turn out too dark.

I believe Reds can often have just a 60 minute addition, but wanted a 20 minute addition to add some freshness. If this is a terrible idea, I'm happy to remove.

Last edited:
I'd just be careful with the amount of roast barley, 2.8% looks slightly high to me, it's only meant to be a touch to create the red colour. 2.8% will affect the flavour more than it should, I reckon, and maybe darken it too much as well. I think somewhere between 1 and 2% is normal. You need to know the colours of the crystal malts too, as they could affect the colour of the beer a lot - dark crystal will change things, especially with 2.8% RB. I did a red ale with 5.5% crystal 120 SRM, 4% Crystal 20, and 1.4% RB, and it was a bit too dark. Because of the crystal 120, presumably.

The light Crystal is 90-110 EBC/34-41 L and the dark 170-210 EBC/64-79 L. Hopefully they will have a more precise figure once I receive them.

I'll have a play around with the recipe, dropping the Roast Barley to 1.5% and upping the crystals.

Thanks for the advice.

You've just alerted me to the fact that SRM and L are different, I always thought they were pretty much the same. I'll need to make some adjustments to my settings in Brewmate! Cheers!

Colour confusion. Even though Beersmith 2 (mobile) has their Crystal Malts marked as Lovibond, 10L, 20L etc. The numbers are actually SRM and not Lovibond.

I shall add the Bairds Malts to Beersmith and use these instead.

Just knocked up a hop filter with some 15mm copper pipe I had left over from my mash tun manifold, an end cap I bought today and a couple of elbows. Tested with some leftover sanitiser water I had in the shed and no flow. Ah, I thought, the syphon effect. Couldn't find the silicon tube so thought I'd give it a little suck. Cue said sanitiser water getting in my mouth.

All set the go tomorrow. Oh if the ingredients turn up.

Latest posts

Back