Saison Opinions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hops_and_Dreams

Landlord.
Reaction score
My next brew is going to be a Saison I think. Unfortunately this is looking like another 4 weeks away with weekend commitments.

Anyway, I have the following to use (not all of), but will gladly take advice from Saison'd brewers!

Pilsner Malt
Youngs Harvest Pilsner 1.5kg (Tesco sale!)
250g Special B (not used this before)
250g Melanoidin (bought this on a whim, not especially for this brew, not used this before)
50g coriander seed
50g curacao peel
Star anise
50g Styrian Golding
20g Mangrove Jacks Belgian Ale

Have an idea in mind, but would welcome any thoughts. Will buy anything else if recommended.

Cheers.

EDIT - should add, this will be a partial mash.

I have a saison brewing now, didn't stick any coriander or spice in.. (mine was based on greg hughes mind).. I thouhght these styles got most of their flavour from the yeast.. ? that said I have never done a saison before and I am not even sure how mine will turn out..

Mine was pilsner munich some special b caraminuch and some honey

I got the idea for the peel and spices from the home brew handbook, I liked the sound of a bit of orange)

What is your batch size going to be? I added 10g of freshly ground coriander and 1 star anise to a 20L farmhouse ale recently. The coriander is noticeable, in a nice way, and the star anise is too subtle, I think (2 next time).

Mine will also be 20ltr. I'll go with a couple of star anise then. Was thinking 20g each of coriander and peel, do you think this would be OTT?

I love coriander and will probably increase it on my next batch, if yours works out ;-) I haven't used orange peel. I reckon some Pioneer or Minstrel hops late in the boil would add something nice, in terms of orange peel. My Minstrel Pale Ale is conditioning, but is starting to taste really nice and orangey and the reported spiced berries are starting to come through. I think it's going in my next Saison...

Have you tried Blue Moon? I know it's a wheat beer, but that's about the limit for me coriander wise (I do like it though). If you have, how does yours compare?

I am just about to start something similar. But the following:

1.5kg Coppers Pale
1.5kg Pale Malt
250g Pale spray malt (for the starter)
500g Pale malt
500g Wheat
Syrian Goldings
Mosaic (dry hopping)
Coopers Pale Yeast (for the starter)
Belgian wheat MJ20
Coriander

I have no idea whether this is sensible, or even a Saison but I'm gonna have a go. Feel free to comment.

I am just about to start something similar. But the following:

1.5kg Coppers Pale
1.5kg Pale Malt
250g Pale spray malt (for the starter)
500g Pale malt
500g Wheat
Syrian Goldings
Mosaic (dry hopping)
Coopers Pale Yeast (for the starter)
Belgian wheat MJ20
Coriander

I have no idea whether this is sensible, or even a Saison but I'm gonna have a go. Feel free to comment.

Let us know how you get on. Mosaic is by far my favourite hop, in fact I'm currently drinking an IPA I made with it. Definitely going to make another with mosaic.

Mine will also be 20ltr. I'll go with a couple of star anise then. Was thinking 20g each of coriander and peel, do you think this would be OTT?

I've just sampled a bottle of my experimental Norwegian farm house. The liquorice is coming through nicely :party: I'm going to add 2 next time, but it might be too scando for me?

Not sure if you've made this yet but 20g coriander and peel will be quite strong. You just want a hint. There's no need for Special B in a saison. It's for darker beers.

I'd keep it simple and go with 100% pilsner malt and Styrian for bittering plus some for flavour 5 mins before the end but aim for 25-30 IBU in all. I've put 10g of coriander in a belgian beer before and it was nice.

Back