Hello

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GtOakley_Brewer

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm Paul. I've been following the forums for a while now and have been absorbing lots of great tips which have really helped me get started. I've completed three 5 litre all grain brews so far using recipe kits from brew craft beer,and im totally hooked. Following advice on here I've managed to assemble an ice box mash tun, an stc1000 controller and am in process of converting a fridge.
Next project needs to be a boiler that will allow me to move out of the kitchen and make larger batches. I've looked at gas burners (like the idea of using the bbq gas bottle, no surprises when electric bill comes in) but not sure about using in the garage. Also looked at tea urns on ebay,but a few people seem to have had problems boiling for an hour without modification. And finally I've looked at a diy kettle conversion.

Would appreciate any comments or advice about what route to take for hassle free boiling. I would like start brewing 10-15 litre batches but keep the option of 20+ in the future.
Many thanks.

Hi all, I'm Paul. I've been following the forums for a while now and have been absorbing lots of great tips which have really helped me get started. I've completed three 5 litre all grain brews so far using recipe kits from brew craft beer,and im totally hooked. Following advice on here I've managed to assemble an ice box mash tun, an stc1000 controller and am in process of converting a fridge.
Next project needs to be a boiler that will allow me to move out of the kitchen and make larger batches. I've looked at gas burners (like the idea of using the bbq gas bottle, no surprises when electric bill comes in) but not sure about using in the garage. Also looked at tea urns on ebay,but a few people seem to have had problems boiling for an hour without modification. And finally I've looked at a diy kettle conversion.

Would appreciate any comments or advice about what route to take for hassle free boiling. I would like start brewing 10-15 litre batches but keep the option of 20+ in the future.
Many thanks.
First of all, welcome!

I use a gas burner in my garage. I always keep the roller door open (not all the way if it's windy) and I've had no issues. If you want to go 20+ in the future, you've got a couple of choices - buy a pot big enough for that straight off, or buy one big enough for 10 - 15 now, and buy a bigger one later (I know which option I would take, but it depends how far in the future you want to increase your brew length).

Hi Paul,

I am also recently hooked on all things AG.

I have a couple of 50L pots on route from bergland in germany. They do all sizes and sell on ebay.de with the lowest prices I can find. You get the best prices by emailing them rather than using ebay. I paid 41.90 Euros each, plus 12.90 euros shipping. Total = 96.70 Euros = £70.54 (exchange rate on paypal =1.37)

[email protected]

They speak flawless English and you can pay by paypal or card.

Re size: Manse's advice is solid - for brews 20-28L you need 50L pots. I also have a 30L pot and doing a 19L batch is possible but a bloomin' tight fit for the boil.

Welcome aboard.

Laurence.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I need a 20l pot for now. Is there any guidance on the size of gas burner I should buy for a sensible boil time,and to leave me the option of using a 50l pot in the future.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I need a 20l pot for now. Is there any guidance on the size of gas burner I should buy for a sensible boil time,and to leave me the option of using a 50l pot in the future.
I have no idea about gas burners and their output. I do know about what happens when you accidentally spill some sweet wort on the hob and don't notice until after the boil is finished. :shock: You had better like brown splotches on your hob, 'cause they are never coming off (unless someone here knows some potentially marriage saving tricks?:lol:).

I would be tempted to fit a 2.4kw kettle element to that size of pot.

Cover your hob with foil, cutting a hole for the gas ring. Then simply chuck the foil with the burnt on wort after you've finished brewing

Brilliant! Now if anyone here has a time machine I can borrow I may yet save my marriage.:rofl:

You could always treat her to a box of these. :wink:

51den0wbQ4L._AC_UL320_SR224,320_.jpg

Lol. I remember mum had some of them under the sink when I was a boy. I used to clean the chrome bits on my bike with them.

They look like pink Shredded Wheat. :-D

Cover your hob with foil, cutting a hole for the gas ring. Then simply chuck the foil with the burnt on wort after you've finished brewing

I have a bad story about doing that I had a huge bit of foil too big it overlapped teh edge of my hob and I didnt see a clothes peg got stuck underneath and post removing the foil I realised I had a huge chunk of melted plastic which has also slightly singed the work surface.

I literally left the wort to almost cool naturally not changing teh water while I panic scrubbed the hob down using a knife to scrap the peg off and I used bleach to bleach the work surface and you know you can hardly notice anything.. I hope to god she doesn't lurk these forums..

Maybe a burner and going outside is a good thing for me:rofl:

I have a bad story about doing that I had a huge bit of foil too big it overlapped teh edge of my hob and I didnt see a clothes peg got stuck underneath and post removing the foil I realised I had a huge chunk of melted plastic which has also slightly singed the work surface.

I literally left the wort to almost cool naturally not changing teh water while I panic scrubbed the hob down using a knife to scrap the peg off and I used bleach to bleach the work surface and you know you can hardly notice anything.. I hope to god she doesn't lurk these forums..

Maybe a burner and going outside is a good thing for me:rofl:

:rofl: Good story! After thats first boil over and spending AGES trying to get the burnt wort off the cooker hob, I started to do the foil thing

I panic scrubbed the hob down using a knife to scrap the peg off and I used bleach to bleach the work surface and you know you can hardly notice anything.. I hope to god she doesn't lurk these forums..
Our silence is assured...

....for a small fee. ;-)

Latest posts

Back