Broken pressure release valve on corny keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulgumby

Reaction score
So I have a dilemma. I kegged my DIPA last night only to find at the last moment that the pressure release valve is leaking. So I can't get a seal on it. No amount of manipulation would work. I've ordered a new one which now may not come until next week and I am worried that the beer may oxidise. Any advice?

Give it a quick burst of CO2 to get rid of any air this should sit ontop to protect it but you could plug the valve with blutack to be safer.

Give it a quick burst of CO2 to get rid of any air this should sit ontop to protect it but you could plug the valve with blutack to be safer.
Thanks Simon that's kind of what I've done all be it I wrapped the valve with cling film. Blutack would be a lot better though.

Thanks Simon that's kind of what I've done all be it I wrapped the valve with cling film. Blutack would be a lot better though.

As long as you purge it, you don't need to pressurise it.

I read somewhere recently about folks doing this to speed up conditioning in the corny. They purge the air out, then leave it a few weeks or until they're ready to drink it, force carb it for a few days and job done.

Apparently once you force carb it, the CO2 is detrimental to the remaining yeast (i.e. it's their by-product!) and slows conditioning.

I really need to start keeping links to these kind of nuggets of info that stick in my brain... no idea where I read it :oops:

That's interesting and gives me confidence. However I'm no chemist, but without a seal isn't it possible that O2 could displace the CO2?

All now appears to have resolved itself. I'll change the valve when the new one arrives, but touch wood I have a seal and my Pliny the Elder clone has been saved!

That's interesting and gives me confidence. However I'm no chemist, but without a seal isn't it possible that O2 could displace the CO2?
The CO2 is heavier then air so will sit on the brew like a blanket, if you leave it undisturbed while you wait for a new lid ( handy to have a spare lid) or pressure release valve if should be fine

As long as you purge it, you don't need to pressurise it.

I read somewhere recently about folks doing this to speed up conditioning in the corny. They purge the air out, then leave it a few weeks or until they're ready to drink it, force carb it for a few days and job done.

Apparently once you force carb it, the CO2 is detrimental to the remaining yeast (i.e. it's their by-product!) and slows conditioning.

I really need to start keeping links to these kind of nuggets of info that stick in my brain... no idea where I read it :oops:

I like info like that, it sounds like it could make sense, but I guess the only way to know for sure would be to do a test or better still several tests, any one out there got a couple of small cornys to split a batch and find out:whistle:

Any air (O2) that might get in there will get metabolised by the yeast, which can buffer beer against oxidation to some extent.

Latest posts

Back