Turbo Yeast (and what to do with it)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ritchiehicks

Reaction score
Hi,

I accidentally ordered some Turbo Yeast which arrived this morning.

I've got no interest in brewing 14% or 20% alcohol on its own but I don't want to waste the Yeast.

So my question is - what can I do with it? Maybe some sort of 14% fruit wine (already sounds harsh)? Or a 20% vodka? I've really no idea what to do with it and I want to produce something with flavour.

Any recipes or ideas welcome......or should I just bin it?!

I bought some of this stuff recently plus the turbo klar. I'm hoping to get a brew on tomorrow, I too have asked one or two questions about it but it seems to be a bit of a grey area when talking about sprits and such like.
It says on the packet enough to make 25 lts upto 23%, however I only want about 4.5 lts (1 gallon) so I'm going to take the risk and add it all to one gallon. I've put a recipe together for what I would call a partial mash whiskey using pale malt grains, extra light DME, brewing sugar and some wheat DME and then adding some oak chips to give it that matured flavour. Will leave it about a year to 18 months to mature.
I've don't know if it will work but there's only one way to find out. :drunk:
:sick: You probably could make some kind of port strength wine which would be rather nice, perhaps adapt one of the recipes from the c j berry wine book if you have it, or make some kind of potato based vodka :wha::thumb:

:electric:
Hi,

I accidentally ordered some Turbo Yeast which arrived this morning.

I've got no interest in brewing 14% or 20% alcohol on its own but I don't want to waste the Yeast.

So my question is - what can I do with it? Maybe some sort of 14% fruit wine (already sounds harsh)? Or a 20% vodka? I've really no idea what to do with it and I want to produce something with flavour.

Any recipes or ideas welcome......or should I just bin it?!

My advice after last night is throw the stuff away..... I had a go on sat with my idea of making a turbo whiskey which went well for the first 24 hours bubbling away really fast.....until last night.....BANG!!!! :electric: the airlock blocked up and came out with a lot of pressure, it also turned it self over but luckily I had it contained in a water bath so it didn't go all over the carpet. I did however get a lot of the liquid carbon and yeast all over the celling which took me about two hours to clean off. I guess with this stuff it's best to use it exactly how the instructions say to use it, I did bend the rules a bit with it and I guess this is what happens, anyway never mind you live and learn (well that's the idea) :rofl:

I feel your pain on the krausen volcano. I had something similar when brewing a stout and the airlock blocked up. In my case, I naively pulled the blocked airlock out when I saw the fermenter lid was blown upwards. Yours sounds worse than mine though. Mine only went four feet up the wall of a walk in cupboard... Not the ceiling. :)

Latest posts

Back