Second2none’s Tropical Punch – A Warning for Newbies

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatDad

'Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat'
Reaction score
Being new to home brewing (a total brewing virgin really) I thought I would start my brewing journey by making some of the punch posted by second2none which used Robinsons Barley juices as a base.

Well this morning I got up early to create two new flavours (Pink Grapefruit and Tropical) and bottle my first batches (Strawberry & Kiwi and Peach) which were ready for bottling.

While bottling I drank the partial bottles that where left over (about three quarters of a litre) and I have to say both of them tasted pretty damn good even though it hadn’t been sitting for a while to get some fizz.

Anyway, all was well until while washing up the equipment and cleaning up the kitchen I realised my lips were numb and it wasn’t until I found myself singing loudly and dancing around the kitchen with the dog I realised that this punch is pretty potent. It was only 9:20am!

I am so pleased I tried this stuff as an easy introduction to brewing to get me used to the basic processes and getting to play around with my new equipment and I would suggest anyone new to brewing use this punch as a quick starter lesson BUT…

…if you ARE a newbie like me, do not fall into the trap of thinking because this punch is simple, fast to make and tastes like fruit cordial it is kids’ stuff. Otherwise, like me, you will find yourself waltzing with your confused dog and serenading the neighbours before 10 o'clock in the morning.

In future I will bottle in the evening or at least leave any partial bottles until a more reasonable hour (perhaps having some breakfast first would have helped too).

Thanks to second2none for sharing this recipe and I am sure I’ll be trying various flavours in the future as well as recreating more of the flavours I have already tried.

GREAT STUFF!

The offending articles...

...and they look so sweet and innocent too!

100_0585-153.jpg

Lol brilliant. I've got one of these going at the moment and chucked a silly amount of sugar in to make it more potent.

Ah well I'll still dish it out at a party, just not one in my house!

I'm having somenof some of mine just now, pretty damn good, will def make another batch

When a recipe asks for white grape juice would it be okay to substitute red in its place? White grape is hard to find and I also prefer red wines.

Yes but i would avoid using orange type juice as i don't think the end result would be very nice (i may be wrong)

When a recipe asks for white grape juice would it be okay to substitute red in its place? White grape is hard to find and I also prefer red wines.
So far so good, I'm about to bottle my RGJ/Orange, mango and passion fruit combo

Will let you know

Being new to home brewing (a total brewing virgin really) I thought I would start my brewing journey by making some of the punch posted by second2none which used Robinsons Barley juices as a base.

Well this morning I got up early to create two new flavours (Pink Grapefruit and Tropical) and bottle my first batches (Strawberry & Kiwi and Peach) which were ready for bottling.

While bottling I drank the partial bottles that where left over (about three quarters of a litre) and I have to say both of them tasted pretty damn good even though it hadn’t been sitting for a while to get some fizz.

Anyway, all was well until while washing up the equipment and cleaning up the kitchen I realised my lips were numb and it wasn’t until I found myself singing loudly and dancing around the kitchen with the dog I realised that this punch is pretty potent. It was only 9:20am!

I am so pleased I tried this stuff as an easy introduction to brewing to get me used to the basic processes and getting to play around with my new equipment and I would suggest anyone new to brewing use this punch as a quick starter lesson BUT…

…if you ARE a newbie like me, do not fall into the trap of thinking because this punch is simple, fast to make and tastes like fruit cordial it is kids’ stuff. Otherwise, like me, you will find yourself waltzing with your confused dog and serenading the neighbours before 10 o'clock in the morning.

In future I will bottle in the evening or at least leave any partial bottles until a more reasonable hour (perhaps having some breakfast first would have helped too).

Thanks to second2none for sharing this recipe and I am sure I’ll be trying various flavours in the future as well as recreating more of the flavours I have already tried.

GREAT STUFF!
That's brilliant!![emoji3]

GREAT STUFF!
That's brilliant!![emoji3]

GREAT STUFF!

Latest posts

Back