Hi, How are you?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexislife

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I'm Alex I live in Surrey.

Looked on his forum a couple of times and been thinking about brewing, picked up a book on the subject today and now pricing up and planning what I need to get started.

Thanks for the Welcomes :)

Found a Brewshop that's only 30 minute or so drive from where I live so will be paying a visit in a couple of weeks time to take the first steps in brewing my own and pretty excited about it.

I've been looking at the Youngs American Pale Ale Kit. The Micro Brewery Starter Kit is just shy of £60 from the home brew shop so seems like a good place to start.

I'd like to be doing some extract brewing for added creativity/experimentation with hops but with the extra outlay needed for a boiler a Kit seems a more sensible place to start.

That said I'm open to any suggestions :-D

I'd like to be doing some extract brewing for added creativity/experimentation with hops but with the extra outlay needed for a boiler a Kit seems a more sensible place to start.

It's Clibit time....don't worry you'll get it soon enough.

Boilers needn't be eye-wateringly expensive. My Peco one was under 50 quid and it works fine in my set up.

PS welcome to the forum

I've been looking at the Youngs American Pale Ale Kit. The Micro Brewery Starter Kit is just shy of £60 from the home brew shop so seems like a good place to start.

Yup like Andy says a peco is a cheap boiler which will do the job.

Also you did say Extract which to be hoenst you do not need to boil the full volume there are ways around it and you can use say a 10 or 15 litre pot.. If you have some intention of going all grain at some point in the future then perhaps reconsider that before buying anything rather than buy twice.

long term goal would be to go full grain but learning to walk before you can run and all that.

I figured a kit such as this http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/American-Beers-Pale-Ale-Starter-Kit.html#.Vb-qGpNViko to hit the ground running and get things started and getting the basic set up with a view to expand later or is it best to buy everything tailored toward what you want in the long run?

There's probably various posts about this so i should probably have a hunt around. but thanks for the help so far:)

I started with a Youngs Lager Starter kit. TBF the beer was horrible but it gave me the bucket and all the basics I needed for brewing. I've since went all grain but I just add things as I need them rather than making one big purchase.

The basics are just that, you don't need anything special, just a large fermenting vessel (bucket) that will hold 40 pints, some sterilising powder, a bit of hose and a few bottles. A hydrometer will also become essential but not necessary if you buy a kit and follow the instructions.

One thing I wish I'd done sooner was move to all grain. Clibits guide is a great and easy start. If you do like this hobby then I'd go down that route, it's not hard, just time consuming. The difference is immense.

I don't know what that kit is like so can't comment on it but welcome to a new and great hobby.

Welcome aboard!

I started with a Youngs American IPA kit - in one of those "all in" kits they do. Its not a bad pint and you get to add some dry hops in the process. Good learning experience and all that. I have to say though I was buying more stuff for an "all grain" kit before that brew was ready to drink. :-D

Don't worry none of that kit need go to waste - you will still need all the bits in it when you are inevitably drawn to the "dark side" :-P

Cheers,
Laurence.

long term goal would be to go full grain but learning to walk before you can run and all that.

I figured a kit such as this http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/American-Beers-Pale-Ale-Starter-Kit.html#.Vb-qGpNViko to hit the ground running and get things started and getting the basic set up with a view to expand later or is it best to buy everything tailored toward what you want in the long run?

There's probably various posts about this so i should probably have a hunt around. but thanks for the help so far:)

Oh absolutley!! I think most of us started off on kits and to be honest a lot of kits make decent ish beer (it can vary quite a lot in my expereince).

However a few brews in like you already insiuated you may wish to step it up a fraction .. Kits will give you the fermentation process and you can master that in no time, then uf you decide to do an extract you can get used to the boil and hop additions and cool down without having to worry about the mash and the need to invest in the equipment.. Or you can skip that step and just go AG..

But I totally get it walk first, Pick a good kit and get going you will be hooked !! :cheers:

Thanks... Reviews on the youngs kits seem favourable so it seems like a good place to start. then if all goes well i'll just be a little poorer each payday as i invest more :razz:

Have to say having now had time to read clibits guide this does seem like a pretty good option. Obviously still stuff to invest in but seems like lots of possibility with only a small amount of kit.

Latest posts

Back