First Wort Hopping

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManseMasher

Regular.
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this?

'First wort hopping, or adding hops to the boiler at the very beginning of the sparging process and allowing them to steep as the sparging completes and remain in the kettle throughout the boil. The hops are added to the boiler as soon as you have finished recirculating the first runnings.'

I have read that it reduces mash pH, and so increases isomerization of later hop additions.

Think I'll try it for my next brew.

I've tried it but not noticed anything different from 60 minute hops. Others report a smoother bittering I think. Be interesting to see what you think. I reckon it's imagined!

I've been FWH on every brew for a while now. There's at least 2 good studies published, involving sensory analysis. A very clear cut one in Germany and a convincing one in the US. It produces a really nice quality I can notice, much smoother bittering. I throw in all my bittering hops as soon as the sparge is finished. I haven't done it with late hops so far, but others have and like it. Give it a go :thumb:

I've been FWH on every brew for a while now. There's at least 2 good studies published, involving sensory analysis. A very clear cut one in Germany and a convincing one in the US. It produces a really nice quality I can notice, much smoother bittering. I throw in all my bittering hops as soon as the sparge is finished. I haven't done it with late hops so far, but others have and like it. Give it a go :thumb:

So all the hops I would normally put in at the start of the boil? I do like a 'hop smack' in my pint...

So all the hops I would normally put in at the start of the boil? Do you still add hops at various times throughout? I do like a 'hop smack' in my pint...

Yes, I add my late hops as usual. Some add their late hops to the first wort and stick with their usual bittering schedule.

I've thought about this, but it takes an age for my hob to get 15 odd litres to boil from sparge, probably 45 mins so thought it may overly bitter it.

I've thought about this, but it takes an age for my hob to get 15 odd litres to boil from sparge, probably 45 mins so thought it may overly bitter it.

Don't worry about that. That's what appears to make it work. My ramp from sparge to boil takes something like that. We don't know what's causing it, but the hop acids are somehow stabilising in the wort. Chemically speaking, the IBU is higher, but that's not how it's perceived in sensory analysis. It's not a new technique either. I'm starting to think it's a 'trade secret' :wink:

My next brew is getting the lot at sparge time, bittering and aromas. That's probably the only way my broken nose and curry blasted palate will be able to tell the difference. To give you an idea, SWMBO and I were in the elephant house at the zoo the other day - her eyes were streaming, she was dry retching and I couldn't smell a thing. Time to stop eating phall perhaps?

My next brew is getting the lot at sparge time, bittering and aromas. That's probably the only way my broken nose and curry blasted palate will be able to tell the difference. To give you an idea, SWMBO and I were in the elephant house at the zoo the other day - her eyes were streaming, she was dry retching and I couldn't smell a thing. Time to stop eating phall perhaps?

No, you can't beat a good curry! I have to import my spices these days...

Don't worry about that. That's what appears to make it work. My ramp from sparge to boil takes something like that. We don't know what's causing it, but the hop acids are somehow stabilising in the wort. Chemically speaking, the IBU is higher, but that's not how it's perceived in sensory analysis. It's not a new technique either. I'm starting to think it's a 'trade secret' :wink:

Ah, the dark arts of brewing, eh? Thanks, might give this a try then.

Latest posts

Back