Raising mash temp

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cockerhoop

Reaction score
On the last few brews I have done, I have taken to running off a good size pan of liquor and raising the temp to about 70 degrees on the stove top. I do this at about 30 minutes and 60 minutes. Then run it back into the mash tun. This keeps the mash at the target temp of 65 degrees and seem to result in a much better efficiency and higher starting gravity.
Does anyone else do this?

Never done that - I insulated my mashtun so much it looks like mr Goodyear. The upside - I know if I bang in 76°c water then add grain, an hour later I still have 65°c mash temp. The beauty is in the simplicity!

Never done that - I insulated my mashtun so much it looks like mr Goodyear. The upside - I know if I bang in 76°c water then add grain, an hour later I still have 65°c mash temp. The beauty is in the simplicity!

I'm like MM. I just use a strike temp calculator, heat my mash water up to strike temp and chuck the grain in. The calc. is pretty accurate - to within 1C usually less

Latest posts

Back