Advice needed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kennedy

Reaction score
Guys, I've just brewed Greg Hughes Black IPA. The whole process went like clockwork and I was very pleased with the wort and its fermentation 18 hours later. I've just taken an inventory of remaining ingredients and realised I've used appolo hops instead of the Amarillo for the aromatic. Any suggestions as to what I can do when I dry hop in three days? Will using appolo hops at turn off make the beer horribly bitter or can I add the Amarillo to the citra during dry hopping. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Fantastic tool, thanks for the link, will investigate options and let you know results, again 'thanks'.

It's likely to be more bitter than the recipe intended, unless you cooled the wort to 80C before adding the 0 min hops, as instructed on page 57 (step 5)?

If it is more bitter and it's not to your taste just condition it longer.I find extra conditioning tends to mellow/round out extra bitterness if you accidently make a beer more bitter than you want it (done that a myself a few times myself)

Thanks for that, I missed this bit of advice. Popped them straight in at flame put. However, I made a very decent immersion chiller, so wort cooled very quickly. Good to know for next batch.

You'll probably be fine, as you can push the bitterness quite far in that style in my opinion.

Dry hop as suggested, or sub the Amarillo in. It's a very nice hop.
Yes, it smells wonderful, think a single hop beer on this variety needs to be investigated, any suggestions?

Single hop beers using Amarillo or Cascade are hard to beat IMHO.

Not at home to check my Greg Hughes book but think there is a single hop recipe for both in the book ?

Yes, page 116. Just looking at it now., it requires a small amount of carapils malt to the grain bill (which I don't have), and a considerable amount of the hop. I think this is a goer after my next brew (Christmas ale). I like malty beer, with subtle hop for a little aroma and bitterness, but I think this hop smells wonderful.

For single hop IPA, try a bottle of Brewdog Libertine. It really is amazing. I was surprised when I heard it was single hop. Simcoe suits very well.

It's brewed up the road in Ellen. We have a brew dog pub in town. I like the dead pony and the punk IPA. I haven't tried the libertine, but I'm taking an american colleague out for a few to show him British ales, will try then. I can only start the evening off with brew dog beer, a few are enough, its a bit over hopped for my taste. But excellent beer none the less.

It's brewed up the road in Ellen. We have a brew dog pub in town. I like the dead pony and the punk IPA. I haven't tried the libertine, but I'm taking an american colleague out for a few to show him British ales, will try then. I can only start the evening off with brew dog beer, a few are enough, its a bit over hopped for my taste. But excellent beer none the less.

If your taking your American colleague out to show him British ales, the irony is, most of the brew dog stuff is strongly influenced by the highly hopped American craft brewing tradition

If your taking your American colleague out to show him British ales, the irony is, most of the brew dog stuff is strongly influenced by the highly hopped American craft brewing tradition

Exactly! They also heavily use a New Zealand hop, that i find tastes like the smell of jayes cleaning fluid, can't remember which beer theyput it in. As I say, I'm a fan of brew dog for a few, but it's simply not a session beer place, i couldn't drink 4 pints of the stuff after a game of rugby. I'll be sure to include a few malty ESBs on route.

Guys, I've just brewed Greg Hughes Black IPA. The whole process went like clockwork and I was very pleased with the wort and its fermentation 18 hours later. I've just taken an inventory of remaining ingredients and realised I've used appolo hops instead of the Amarillo for the aromatic. Any suggestions as to what I can do when I dry hop in three days? Will using appolo hops at turn off make the beer horribly bitter or can I add the Amarillo to the citra during dry hopping. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Guys, thanks for all the advice, have moved to bottling bucket for bottling this evening. It smells, looks and tastes excellent. Best I've brewed. Amarillo were an excellent compliment to citra. Will let you know results after conditioning (six weeks and counting).

Back